* Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-04  8:25 Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-03-04  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
 I am stuck behind a proxy/firewall combination and with anonymous CVS
 now only through SSH (earlier SSL/443 port was open), there is no way to
 get actively involved. Is there a pretest coming up soon? I am looking
 forward to that. Is there some other way to get the latest CVS sources
 from proxy/firewall. I tried ARCH (tla) and the binary I have on my
 Windoze comp does not support proxy auth. Does anyone have the latest
 'tla' which supports proxy auth for w2k OS?

with best regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-07 10:46 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-03-07 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

"Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <devel@member.fsf.org> writes:

>  Is there a pretest coming up soon?

Probably, but it will be from the 21.1 branch again, not the trunk.
There is a snapshot of the CVS trunk as of 28 Dec
at http://www.crasseux.com/emacs

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-07 14:52 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2004-03-07 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

"Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <devel@member.fsf.org> writes:

>  I am stuck behind a proxy/firewall combination and with anonymous CVS
>  now only through SSH (earlier SSL/443 port was open), there is no way to
>  get actively involved.

Savannah is now using CVS over SSH even for anonymous access, so you
should be able to access it.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-07 16:22   ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-03-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Hello,
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:52:55 +0100, "Andreas Schwab" <schwab@suse.de>
said:
> Savannah is now using CVS over SSH even for anonymous access, so you
> should be able to access it.

The problem is that the firewall does not allow SSH connections. It just
allows normal HTTP, FTP and SSL connections. Earlier, I was able to
connect using a tunneling tool through SSL from our proxy and access GNU
Emacs from CVS.
 I guess, I am just stuck and there is no way to get back into main
 stream! Hence, I am forced to fall out and just watch wonderful things
 happening in GNU Emacs development!

with best regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-11  5:13     ` Miles Bader
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-03-11  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, Emacs Devel

"Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <devel@member.fsf.org> writes:
> The problem is that the firewall does not allow SSH connections. It just
> allows normal HTTP, FTP and SSL connections. Earlier, I was able to
> connect using a tunneling tool through SSL from our proxy and access GNU
> Emacs from CVS.

Presumably it's not just a simple proxy though, otherwise you'd be able
to use tla, right?  I can see the emacs archive at
http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004 just fine
through my work's http-only proxy.

-Miles
--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-11  5:27     ` Danilo Segan
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Danilo Segan @ 2004-03-11  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, Emacs Devel

"Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <devel@member.fsf.org> writes:

>  I guess, I am just stuck and there is no way to get back into main
>  stream! Hence, I am forced to fall out and just watch wonderful things
>  happening in GNU Emacs development!

Prior to "meltdown", there was some talk about hosting automatically
generated CVS snapshots at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/.

Is there a chance of getting that reinstated (or started at all --
I'm not sure it was started in the first place)?

Cheers,
Danilo

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-11  5:55     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-03-11  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <devel@member.fsf.org>
> Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 21:52:58 +0530
>
> The problem is that the firewall does not allow SSH connections. It just
> allows normal HTTP, FTP and SSL connections.

We could try asking the Savannah admins to allow SSH connections from
one of the ports that even your fascist firewall lets through.
Various GNU services used to do that in the past, and some still do.

Can you find out what ports are not blocked by your firewall?

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-11  7:18       ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-03-11  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, Emacs Devel

On 11 Mar 2004 14:13:00 +0900, "Miles Bader" <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> said:
> Presumably it's not just a simple proxy though, otherwise you'd be able
> to use tla, right?  I can see the emacs archive at
> http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004 just fine
> through my work's http-only proxy.

My proxy needs authentication and I am not sure whether 'tla' can support
going through a proxy which needs authentication. Using Wget, I can get
the files from your "arch" repository. Hence, I am quite certain that if
'tla' can authenticate with the proxy server, it can work. Is there
someway to pass the proxy and user name, passwd details to 'tla'?

with regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-03-11 12:29     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-03-11 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

"Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <devel@member.fsf.org> writes:

> Hello,
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:52:55 +0100, "Andreas Schwab" <schwab@suse.de>
> said:
> > Savannah is now using CVS over SSH even for anonymous access, so you
> > should be able to access it.
>
> The problem is that the firewall does not allow SSH connections. It just
> allows normal HTTP, FTP and SSL connections. Earlier, I was able to
> connect using a tunneling tool through SSL from our proxy and access GNU
> Emacs from CVS.
>  I guess, I am just stuck and there is no way to get back into main
>  stream! Hence, I am forced to fall out and just watch wonderful things
>  happening in GNU Emacs development!

That would be too bad!!

Perhaps you could get access to Miles' arch server and work from that;
then you could still post patches here on the list.

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-11 14:05       ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-03-11 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

On 11 Mar 2004 07:55:42 +0200, "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> said:
> We could try asking the Savannah admins to allow SSH connections from
> one of the ports that even your fascist firewall lets through.
> Various GNU services used to do that in the past, and some still do.
>
> Can you find out what ports are not blocked by your firewall?

That gives me a ray of hope. Is there some discrete way to find out or
should I just go to the system administartor and ask? Please let me know
so that I can try to get that information.
 I know that 443 is not blocked as I was using it earlier to access GNU
 Emacs CVS.

with best regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-03-11 14:28     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-03-11 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, Emacs Devel

> The problem is that the firewall does not allow SSH connections. It just
> allows normal HTTP, FTP and SSL connections. Earlier, I was able to
> connect using a tunneling tool through SSL from our proxy and access GNU
> Emacs from CVS.

The Arch repository is definitely accessible via HTTP.
As for needing a proxy authentication, I admit not knowing anything about
it, but if you ask on the Arch mailing list I expect that someone
will be able to tell you how to do it.

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-11 23:12   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2004-03-11 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dhruva Krishnamurthy, Emacs Devel

 > >  Is there a pretest coming up soon?
 >
 > Probably, but it will be from the 21.1 branch again, not the trunk.
 > There is a snapshot of the CVS trunk as of 28 Dec
 > at http://www.crasseux.com/emacs

Earlier, I sent the message below, which has either got lost or delayed. I
might be missing something but I wouldn't think that 21.4 would need much
pretesting.

Nick

  From "Re: Emacs release numbering 21.4 vs. 22.1"

  GDB has a schedule so that developers can plan ahead. In Emacs, developers
  have to guess when and from where the next release will occur. As Kim says,
  most have guessed it will be from HEAD. This can be seen from the very small
  numbers of commits on the RC branch since the release of 21.3.

  21.4 won't be a bugfix release, it will be 21.3 updated for Texinfo. I think
  many users who submitted bug reports and patches over the last year will be
  disappointed.

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-12  2:12         ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-03-12  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gnu-arch-users, Andreas Schwab, Emacs Devel

"Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <devel@member.fsf.org> writes:
> My proxy needs authentication and I am not sure whether 'tla' can support
> going through a proxy which needs authentication. Using Wget, I can get
> the files from your "arch" repository. Hence, I am quite certain that if
> 'tla' can authenticate with the proxy server, it can work. Is there
> someway to pass the proxy and user name, passwd details to 'tla'?

I don't know; that's probably a question better asked on the
gnu-arch-users mailing list:

I've CC'd this message there, but I seem to recall that it's set up so
that only members can post, so further followups might get lost (unless
everyone replying subscribes of course).

I did see this patch posted recently, which suggests that perhaps the
existing tla doesn't do proxy user-auth:

   http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-03/msg00233.html

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.

GNU arch home page:
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnu-arch/

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-12 13:39         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-03-12 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <devel@member.fsf.org>
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:35:04 +0530
>
> Is there some discrete way to find out or should I just go to the
> system administartor and ask?

It depends on youer sysadmins ;-)

If you don't have a good relationship with them, it could be better to
ask Savannah admins what ports can they enable, and test each one of
those by trying a telnet connection with subversions.

* Re: Pretest scheduled?
@ 2004-03-13 16:27       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-03-13 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dhruva Krishnamurthy, emacs-devel

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 07:55:42AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> We could try asking the Savannah admins to allow SSH connections from
> one of the ports that even your fascist firewall lets through.
> Various GNU services used to do that in the past, and some still do.
>
> Can you find out what ports are not blocked by your firewall?

The traditional port used for this is 443 (https), which is allowed through
by almost any firewall that allows http (my work firewall allows _only_ http
and https).

There's a port-443 ssh server for fencepost too running on fp-ssh.gnu.org;
presumably there'd need to be some sort of different hostname for savannah
too, as it's using both http and https ports for real http service.

-Miles
--

@ 2004-03-14 16:37       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-03-14 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: devel, emacs-devel

> From: Danilo Segan <dsegan@gmx.net>
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:27:17 +0100
>
> Prior to "meltdown", there was some talk about hosting automatically
> generated CVS snapshots at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/.
>
> Is there a chance of getting that reinstated (or started at all --
> I'm not sure it was started in the first place)?

AFAIK, it never started.