* CVS emacs bootstrap problem: cannot open encoded-kb
@ 2006-05-17  8:06 Steven Wu
From: Steven Wu @ 2006-05-17  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was trying to bootstrap emacs on cygwin using gcc, and everything
looked okay until make did autoloads in lisp directory, and the error
message was cannot open encoded-kb. I'd found some suggestions like
using buildlisppath=... and it didn't work. However, it seems like
the problem has been addressed. What am I missing here?

steve

* Re: CVS emacs bootstrap problem: cannot open encoded-kb
@ 2006-05-17 15:36 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-05-17 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Steven> I was trying to bootstrap emacs on cygwin using gcc, and
    Steven> everything looked okay until make did autoloads in lisp
    Steven> directory, and the error message was cannot open
    Steven> encoded-kb.  I'd found some suggestions like using
    Steven> buildlisppath=...  and it didn't work.  However, it seems
    Steven> like the problem has been addressed.  What am I missing
    Steven> here?

    Steven> steve

I don't want to discourage you, but I've never been able to get
further than you have, and I've tried many times.

A rather depressing diary of my many failures can be found here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingCvsWThirtyTwoCygwin

Note that if you _really_ want to build Emacs on Windows using Free
software, it can be done; you just have to throw MinGW into the mix,
along with Cygwin:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingCvsWThirtyTwoMingw
--
A DRE voting system is one of the simplest computer
applications you could imagine.  It just adds by one.

* Re: CVS emacs bootstrap problem: cannot open encoded-kb
@ 2006-05-18  1:38 Steven Wu
From: Steven Wu @ 2006-05-18  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: offby1

> From: Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net>
> Date: May 17, 2006 8:36:14 AM MST
> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: CVS emacs bootstrap problem: cannot open encoded-kb

>     Steven> I was trying to bootstrap emacs on cygwin using gcc, and
>     Steven> everything looked okay until make did autoloads in lisp
>     Steven> directory, and the error message was cannot open
>     Steven> encoded-kb.  I'd found some suggestions like using
>     Steven> buildlisppath=...  and it didn't work.  However, it seems
>     Steven> like the problem has been addressed.  What am I missing
>     Steven> here?
>
>     Steven> steve
>
> I don't want to discourage you, but I've never been able to get
> further than you have, and I've tried many times.
>
> A rather depressing diary of my many failures can be found here:

Thanks Eric,  I guess I should have clarified it a little bit. I knew
the fix to the problem, and I applied the fix. I was wondering that
the problem has been there since 2004, and someone mentioned the fix
for it, but it is not in the CVS src. I can provide the fix to the
makefiles to make it work, however, I won't be able the check it in
since I don't have the permission.

As a quick fix, in the makefile generated in lisp directory, patch
the line like below,
# this is not from the diff -p, but from my memory, so I don't
remember the line number.
#
- lisp = $(CURDIR)
+lisp = $(shell cygpath -m $(CURDIR))

Similar in the leim directory, patch the line in same way and that
will get you going.

The fix should be in the makefile.w32, and uses condition to check if
cygwin is used, do the patch.

@ 2006-05-18  3:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <9D16FF6A-A0AE-45D3-8F75-240FB286F49C@qwest.net>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-05-18  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: offby1, emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:38:30 -0700
> From: "Steven Wu" <wus@qwest.net>
> Cc: offby1@blarg.net
>
> I knew the fix to the problem, and I applied the fix. I was
> wondering that the problem has been there since 2004, and someone
> mentioned the fix for it, but it is not in the CVS src.

It's not in the CVS because no one succeeded to explain or understand
why this problem happens in the Cygwin build, but not in any other
build, including the MS-Windows build with MinGW development tools.  I
object in principle to installing changes to problems we do not
understand, because we might be fixing the wrong code.

If you can afford the time and effort to debug this and report the
results, please do.  I can assure you that, once the problem is
understood sufficiently well, the solution will be installed in no
time.

TIA

> - lisp = $(CURDIR)
> +lisp = $(shell cygpath -m $(CURDIR))

You see, this shouldn't be needed, since subdirectories of lisp/
should be automatically on load-path--it's part of the Emacs startup
code to make this happen.  So some other factor is at work here.

* Re: CVS emacs bootstrap problem: cannot open encoded-kb
@ 2006-05-18  9:59 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2006-05-18  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: offby1, emacs-devel

> # this is not from the diff -p, but from my memory, so I don't
> remember the line number.
> #
> - lisp = $(CURDIR)
> +lisp = $(shell cygpath -m $(CURDIR))
This would break the build on all platforms other than cygwin!

> The fix should be in the makefile.w32
The cygwin build does not use the w32 makefiles. Perhaps this is why you
are having problems building it.

* Re: CVS emacs bootstrap problem: cannot open encoded-kb
@ 2006-05-18 10:21   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2006-05-18 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 5/17/06, Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> wrote:

> Note that if you _really_ want to build Emacs on Windows using Free
> software, it can be done; you just have to throw MinGW into the mix,
> along with Cygwin:

Or even without Cygwin, though you'll probably need some tools from
GnuWin32 (not to mention the image libraries).

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: CVS emacs bootstrap problem: cannot open encoded-kb
@ 2006-05-18 10:32     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-05-18 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eric Hanchrow, emacs-devel

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On 5/17/06, Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> wrote:
>
>> Note that if you _really_ want to build Emacs on Windows using Free
>> software, it can be done; you just have to throw MinGW into the mix,
>> along with Cygwin:
>
> Or even without Cygwin, though you'll probably need some tools from
> GnuWin32 (not to mention the image libraries).

I confirm that. Shameless plug: See
http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html

@ 2006-05-18 18:57     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-05-18 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:26:27 -0700
> From: "Steven Wu" <wus@qwest.net>
>
> Do I need to use bugzila or to report the bug or, I can simply post
> it on this list?

Please post on emacs-devel.  Thanks.