* Antinews for Unicode stuff
@ 2008-11-23  6:58 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-11-23  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I started writing the Emacs 23 Antinews, and got stuck on the internal
encoding entry (i.e., the entry that describes the move from Unicode in
Emacs 23 to emacs-mule in Emacs 22 for someone living backwards in
time).

Could someone please take a stab at this?  It's not absolutely necessary
for the entry to be funny---we are mostly trying to convey information
here.

* Re: Antinews for Unicode stuff
@ 2008-11-23  8:13 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-11-23  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I started writing the Emacs 23 Antinews, and got stuck on the internal
  > encoding entry (i.e., the entry that describes the move from Unicode in
  > Emacs 23 to emacs-mule in Emacs 22 for someone living backwards in
  > time).
  >
  > Could someone please take a stab at this?  It's not absolutely necessary
  > for the entry to be funny---we are mostly trying to convey information
  > here.

Maybe we should consider just dropping the Antinews completely.
Is it actually worth the effort?

* Re: Antinews for Unicode stuff
@ 2008-11-23  9:56   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-11-23  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>   > Could someone please take a stab at this?  It's not absolutely necessary
>   > for the entry to be funny---we are mostly trying to convey information
>   > here.
>
> Maybe we should consider just dropping the Antinews completely.
> Is it actually worth the effort?

Of course.

-miles

--
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

* Re: Antinews for Unicode stuff
@ 2008-11-23 11:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-11-23 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 01:58:44 -0500
>
> Could someone please take a stab at this?

I will do it.

* Re: Antinews for Unicode stuff
@ 2008-11-24 15:44 ` Richard M Stallman
From: Richard M Stallman @ 2008-11-24 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

How about starting like this:

We have switched to a character set specially designed for Emacs.
Rather than forcing all the widely used scripts artificially into
alignment, it treats them all equally, giving each one a place
in the space of character codes.

* Re: Antinews for Unicode stuff
@ 2008-11-24 22:45     ` Richard M Stallman
From: Richard M Stallman @ 2008-11-24 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

The usefulness of Antinews is to help people who buy the printed
manual and are still using the previous Emacs version.  That's why we
focus on the (eliminated) behavior of the old version rather than on
the new features.

Of course, we try to make it amusing as well.

* Re: Antinews for Unicode stuff
@ 2008-11-28 12:02   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-11-28 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

> From: Richard M Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:44:50 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> How about starting like this:
>
> We have switched to a character set specially designed for Emacs.
> Rather than forcing all the widely used scripts artificially into
> alignment, it treats them all equally, giving each one a place
> in the space of character codes.

Thanks, I used this text.

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-11-28 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyd, emacs-devel

> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 06:27:17 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> > Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 01:58:44 -0500
> >
> > Could someone please take a stab at this?
>
> I will do it.

Done.