* Platform-specific symbols in cus-start.el
@ 2009-03-21  9:48 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-03-21  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-devel

This change:

    2009-03-21  David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>

	    * cus-start.el (all): add
	    `ns-{control|command|alternate|function}-modifier',
	    `ns-antialias-text' and `ns-use-qd-smoothing'

was incomplete.  You cannot just add platform-specific symbols to
cus-start.el, because building Emacs will then output warning
messages, like this:

    Note, built-in variable `ns-control-modifier' not bound
    Note, built-in variable `ns-command-modifier' not bound
    Note, built-in variable `ns-alternate-modifier' not bound
    Note, built-in variable `ns-function-modifier' not bound
    Note, built-in variable `ns-antialias-text' not bound
    Note, built-in variable `ns-use-qd-smoothing' not bound

You need to add something to the code that avoids warnings for symbols
that are native to specific platforms.  See the change I committed; I
have no way of testing that on NextStep, so please see that I didn't
break anything.

Also, please don't use regexp-like shorthands in ChangeLog entries, as
this is against GNU coding standards (it defeats searching for changes
using grep).  Please always state the full names of functions,
variables, files, etc.

* Re: Platform-specific symbols in cus-start.el
@ 2009-03-21 12:53 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-03-21 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mar 21, 2009, at 5:48 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> was incomplete.  You cannot just add platform-specific symbols to
> cus-start.el, because building Emacs will then output warning
> messages, like this:

I see, thank you.  There's a couple more things that need to be done
as well (such as defining the Nextstep group).

> You need to add something to the code that avoids warnings for symbols
> that are native to specific platforms.  See the change I committed; I
> have no way of testing that on NextStep, so please see that I didn't
> break anything.

Yes, this works.

Related to this, is the kludge below found in nsterm.m appropriate, or
should cus-start be fixed?

   /* these are unsupported but we need the declarations to avoid
whining
      messages from cus-start.el */
   DEFVAR_BOOL ("x-use-underline-position-properties",
	       &x_use_underline_position_properties,
      doc: /* NOT SUPPORTED UNDER NS.
*Non-nil means make use of UNDERLINE_POSITION font properties.
A value of nil means ignore them.  If you encounter fonts with bogus
UNDERLINE_POSITION font properties, for example 7x13 on XFree prior
to 4.1, set this to nil.

NOTE: Not supported on Mac yet.  */);
   x_use_underline_position_properties = 0;

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Platform-specific symbols in cus-start.el
@ 2009-03-21 13:55   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-03-21 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

> Related to this, is the kludge below found in nsterm.m appropriate, or
> should cus-start be fixed?

Not sure if it's the best solution, but since it reproduces what's done
in w32term.c, it's no worse than what we already have.

* Re: Platform-specific symbols in cus-start.el
@ 2009-03-21 14:44   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-03-21 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:53:54 -0400
>
> Related to this, is the kludge below found in nsterm.m appropriate, or
> should cus-start be fixed?
>

>    /* these are unsupported but we need the declarations to avoid whining
>       messages from cus-start.el */
>    DEFVAR_BOOL ("x-use-underline-position-properties",
> 	       &x_use_underline_position_properties,
>       doc: /* NOT SUPPORTED UNDER NS.
> *Non-nil means make use of UNDERLINE_POSITION font properties.
> A value of nil means ignore them.  If you encounter fonts with bogus
> UNDERLINE_POSITION font properties, for example 7x13 on XFree prior
> to 4.1, set this to nil.
>
> NOTE: Not supported on Mac yet.  */);
>    x_use_underline_position_properties = 0;

We could add an extra `cond' clause where it filters out symbols
native to other platforms, and then you could remove this DEFVAR_BOOL.
But, as Stefan points out, it's probably not worth the hassle to do
that for the sake of a single obscure variable, unless we think users
might be fooled to think that the existence of the variable means the
feature is supported.

* Re: Platform-specific symbols in cus-start.el
@ 2009-03-22  1:48     ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2009-03-22  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: David Reitter, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>> Related to this, is the kludge below found in nsterm.m appropriate,
>> or should cus-start be fixed?

> Not sure if it's the best solution, but since it reproduces what's
> done in w32term.c, it's no worse than what we already have.

An alternative solution is to use this variable
(x-use-underline-position-properties) in a meaningful way.  NSFont has
a method to extract the underline position defined by the font, but
the current implementation of the Cocoa/GNUstep port unconditionally
ignores that value.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp