* x-selection-exists-p  vs  x-get-selection
@ 2008-05-03 22:54 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-05-03 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Emacs-Devel'

I don't understand `x-selection-exists-p'. I select some text with meta mouse
clicks or drags, to create a secondary selection. (x-get-selection 'SECONDARY)
returns that secondary-selection text, as I would expect.

But (x-selection-exists-p 'SECONDARY) returns nil - I expected t. The doc string
says: "Whether there is an owner for the given X Selection." I am on Windows,
with `x-select-enable-clipboard' = t, if that is important.

Is there a bug here? If not can someone please enlighten me?

How should I understand `x-selection-exists-p'? It is used, for instance, in
menu-bar.el, to determine whether to enable some selection menus, such as Paste.