* it looks like make --win32 doesn't solve the problem.
@ 2006-06-01  7:28 Steven Wu
From: Steven Wu @ 2006-06-01  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

When using the --win32 flag, cygwin make uses cmd as makeshell, and
that causes other problems. I am not sure if there is a way without
changes in the makefile.w32.in, the build problems will be solved
using cygwin utilities to build window native Emacs. I'll try some
other tricks later, however, since I'll be on business trip for the
next two weeks, I won't be able to get back to it before that.

steve

* Re: it looks like make --win32 doesn't solve the problem.
@ 2006-06-01 12:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-01 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 00:28:06 -0700
> From: "Steven Wu" <wus@qwest.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> When using the --win32 flag, cygwin make uses cmd as makeshell, and
> that causes other problems.

What problems? please post the relevant parts of a build session.  The
Windows makefiles are in general supposed to work with cmd as well as
with a Unixy shell.

> I am not sure if there is a way without changes in the
> makefile.w32.in, the build problems will be solved using cygwin
> utilities to build window native Emacs.

I'm not sure either (nt/INSTALL warns against using them for a
reason), but without seeing the actual problems I cannot really tell.

* Re: it looks like make --win32 doesn't solve the problem.
@ 2006-06-01 13:41   ` Steven Wu
From: Steven Wu @ 2006-06-01 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Jun 1, 2006, at 5:17 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 00:28:06 -0700
>> From: "Steven Wu" <wus@qwest.net>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> When using the --win32 flag, cygwin make uses cmd as makeshell, and
>> that causes other problems.
>
> What problems? please post the relevant parts of a build session.  The
> Windows makefiles are in general supposed to work with cmd as well as
> with a Unixy shell.

Remember the CVS Emacs build problem that you and I had exchanged a
couple email? I had explained the problem due to cygwin make giving
Unix like path which window native emacs could not follow.

here the is the error:
===
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp'
/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs /cygdrive/c/
dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp; \
for file in calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus
international language mail mh-e net obsolete play progmodes term
textmodes toolbar url; do \
/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs $file; \
done;
Directories: calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus
international language mail mh-e net obsolete play progmodes
term textmodes toolbar url
"./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte
-l autoload \
--eval '(setq find-file-hook nil \
find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t \
generated-autoload-file \
"/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' \
-f batch-update-autoloads /cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp calc
calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus in
ternational language mail mh-e net obsolete play progmodes term
textmodes toolbar url
Cannot open load file: encoded-kb
Signal 127
make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/dev/emacs-src/emacs/lisp'
===

* Re: it looks like make --win32 doesn't solve the problem.
@ 2006-06-01 13:57     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2006-06-01 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Steven Wu wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2006, at 5:17 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>>> Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 00:28:06 -0700
>>> From: "Steven Wu" <wus@qwest.net>
>>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>>
>>> When using the --win32 flag, cygwin make uses cmd as makeshell, and
>>> that causes other problems.
>>
>> What problems? please post the relevant parts of a build session.  The
>> Windows makefiles are in general supposed to work with cmd as well as
>> with a Unixy shell.
>>
> Remember the CVS Emacs build problem that you and I had exchanged a
> couple email?
I think Eli means the new problems caused by the use of the --win32
flag, which is what I would also be interested in.

* Re: it looks like make --win32 doesn't solve the problem.
@ 2006-06-01 17:01       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:57:21 +0100
> From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Steven Wu wrote:

> >> What problems? please post the relevant parts of a build session.  The
> >> Windows makefiles are in general supposed to work with cmd as well as
> >> with a Unixy shell.
> >>
> > Remember the CVS Emacs build problem that you and I had exchanged a
> > couple email?
> I think Eli means the new problems caused by the use of the --win32
> flag

Exactly.

* Re: it looks like make --win32 doesn't solve the problem.
@ 2006-06-01 17:32 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-06-01 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a set of pages that describe various failures I've encountered
with various methods of building Emacs -- it's at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingOnWindowsTableofContents

The one that seems most relevant to this thread is
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingCvsWThirtyTwoCygwin

I believe those pages have sufficient detail to allow someone to
reproduce what I did, and see what I saw.

--
I write [from 5 AM to 7 AM] to discover what I think.  After
all, the bars aren't open that early.

* Re: it looks like make --win32 doesn't solve the problem.
@ 2006-06-02 10:39   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-02 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net>
> Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:32:09 -0700
>
> I have a set of pages that describe various failures I've encountered
> with various methods of building Emacs -- it's at
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingOnWindowsTableofContents

I try to analyze your report below, but I'd really like to hear the OP
of this thread to confirm that his attempt failed with the same error
message.  Otherwise, perhaps there's another problem somewhere.

> The one that seems most relevant to this thread is
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingCvsWThirtyTwoCygwin

I believe you are referring to this error message:

     "../nt/oo-spd/i386/addsection" "oo-spd/i386/temacs.bin" "oo-spd/i386/temacs.exe" EMHEAP 16
     '..' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

> I believe those pages have sufficient detail to allow someone to
> reproduce what I did, and see what I saw.

I don't have a Cygwin port of Make (and don't plan on installing one),
but this error message looks very strange to me, because there's
nothing wrong with the command which causes it.  The error message
clearly comes from cmd.exe, but on my machine cmd.exe runs such
commands without any problems, both from the command prompt and from
within (a MinGW-built) Make.

It is possible that Cygwin's Make invokes that command like this:

  cmd.exe /c "../nt/oo-spd/i386/addsection" "oo-spd/i386/temacs.bin" "oo-spd/i386/temacs.exe" EMHEAP 16

When I type such a command from the cmd prompt, I indeed see the above
error message.  But if this is how the Cygwin port of Make invokes
commands under the --win32 switch, then that's a bug in the Cygwin
port: it should mirror the forward slashes in the first argument of
the cmd.exe /c command line, because cmd treats forward slashes as
switch characters.  Please report this bug to the Cygwin maintainers.

(To avoid the immense complications of command arg quoting on Windows,
the native MinGW/MSVC port of Make puts the command on a batch file
and invokes cmd to run that batch file, so such problems never happen
with the native port.)

lisp/makefile.w32-in had a small problem with cmd as the shell in some
specific cases (I think they are unrelated to bootstrap), but I fixed
that now.