* [gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.msys] Re: .emacs at c:\ and ~/
@ 2007-06-27  8:15 David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-06-27  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have to agree with the misleading wording in the info page regarding
the -u option for using the init file of other users.

At least, one should probably write "to specify a user whose init file
Emacs should read instead".

Maybe we should also add a link to the Windows-specific section
explaining about what ~user means under Windows?  I don't think it is
at all clear to the average user what effect -u will have under
Windows.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2437 bytes --]

From: "Daniel C. Bastos" <dbastos-nj1bVsHgQETQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: .emacs at c:\ and ~/
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:02:21 -0400

On 6/26/07, David Kastrup <dak-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> "Daniel C. Bastos" <dbastos-nj1bVsHgQETQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
> writes:
>
> > I currently keep my .emacs in c:\ and in ~/ in msys. I tried putting it
> > in c:\emacs and in c:\emacs\bin, but emacs seems to ignore them there.
> >
> > The manual says
> >
> > The Init File, `~/.emacs'
> > =========================
> >
> >   When Emacs is started, it normally loads a Lisp program from the file
> > `.emacs' or `.emacs.el' in your home directory.  We call this file your
> > "init file" because it specifies how to initialize Emacs for you.  You
> > can use the command line switch `-q' to prevent loading your init file,
> > and `-u' (or `--user') to specify a different user's init file (*note
> > Entering Emacs::).
> >
> > But I couldn't get -u or --user to work. I tried
> >
> > %emacs -u /c/emacs/.emacs
> > %emacs --user /c/emacs/.emacs
> > %emacs -u 'c:\emacs\.emacs'
> > %emacs --user 'c:\emacs\.emacs'
>
> Do you actually have a user called /c/emacs/.emacs?  I find that
> unlikely.

I just noticed the proper usage of --user by looking at `emacs --help`,
but I couldn't tell that by the text in the info page (above). It
mentions a ``user's init file'' so I thought of giving it a path to a
user's init file, however strange the flag --user would've been for
that.

> > If I can get this flag to work, then my problem is solved. What I
> > currently do is use a script that copies the .emacs from /c/ to ~/
> > before it loads emacs from the shell. But how do you guys keep your
> > .emacs in one place?
> >
> > I need it in both places because emacs reads c:\.emacs when I call
> > it from a Windows hotkey, and it reads ~/.emacs when called from
> > msys.
>
> How about actually setting the HOME variable in your system?

That worked a few days ago after someone suggesting the same.

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/

David Kastrup

* Re: [gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.msys] Re: .emacs at c:\ and ~/
@ 2007-06-27  8:33 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-06-27  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 6/27/07, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> I have to agree with the misleading wording in the info page regarding
> the -u option for using the init file of other users.

I don't disagree, but the Init File node's first paragraph points to
Initial Options, where -u is described as in the Emacs command line
help:

`-u USER'
`--user=USER'
     Load USER's Emacs init file `~USER/.emacs' instead of your own(1).

> Maybe we should also add a link to the Windows-specific section
> explaining about what ~user means under Windows?  I don't think it is
> at all clear to the average user what effect -u will have under
> Windows.

No effect, at this time.

             Juanma

* Re: [gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.msys] Re: .emacs at c:\ and ~/
@ 2007-06-27 18:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-27 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:15:32 +0200
>
> Maybe we should also add a link to the Windows-specific section
> explaining about what ~user means under Windows?  I don't think it is
> at all clear to the average user what effect -u will have under
> Windows.

It's IMO a bug that the Windows port does not behave in this aspect
like it does on Posix platforms.  We should fix that bug (which isn't
too hard).  When it is fixed, we should point out in the manual that
this option does not have any effect on Windows 9x.