From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: acm@muc.de, stefan@marxist.se, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Yikes! easy-menu-add is suddenly compiled to `ignore', without any warning.
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 16:14:01 +0200	[thread overview]

> I'm sorry, but that ship has sailed several months ago.  Gobs of
> XEmacs compatibility features were removed already, after the removal
> move was announced.  Are you saying we should reinstate all of them
> back?  If not, what is so special about this particular one?

I'm not asking for any such thing. It's just an observation that keeping
a package working for both Emacs and XEmacs requires adding more and
more conditional code because of a diverging API.

Some changes I find difficult to understand. There seems little
incentive for removing trivial one-line aliases like easy-menu-add,
unless the goal were to intentionally break compatibility.