* emacs-unicode branch is not usable
@ 2002-07-17 11:44 Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2002-07-17 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apparently random users have been advised to try the emacs-unicode CVS
branch.  I don't know why, but please advise against that, unless
they're serious about working on it.

It's in no fit state for users, who are quite likely to get corrupted
data, apart from redisplay problems and brokenness unrelated to the
basic Mule changes.

[To edit Unicode text, people should use Emacs 21, perhaps with the
patches I've published and/or Mule-UCS.  The ability to do that is
mostly orthogonal to the internal encoding (by demonstration).]

* Re: emacs-unicode branch is not usable
@ 2002-07-17 12:07 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2002-07-17 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <rzq3cuia89n.fsf@albion.dl.ac.uk>, Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:
> Apparently random users have been advised to try the emacs-unicode CVS
> branch.  I don't know why, but please advise against that, unless
> they're serious about working on it.

> It's in no fit state for users, who are quite likely to get corrupted
> data, apart from redisplay problems and brokenness unrelated to the
> basic Mule changes.

Sure.  How about putting this change in the current emacs-unicode?
Could you please improve the English text?

*** startup.el.~1.290.~	Fri May 10 11:13:48 2002
--- startup.el	Wed Jul 17 21:09:59 2002
***************
*** 1168,1173 ****
--- 1168,1176 ----
  	  (insert-image img (propertize "xxx" 'help-echo help-echo
  					'keymap map)))
  	(insert "\n"))))
+   (fancy-splash-insert
+    :face '(variable-pitch :background "red")
+    "\n!! This version is in ALPHA status.  You may loose your file!!\n\n")
    (if (eq system-type 'gnu/linux)
        (fancy-splash-insert
         :face '(variable-pitch :foreground "red")

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@etl.go.jp

* Re: emacs-unicode branch is not usable
@ 2002-07-18 11:08   ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2002-07-18 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@etl.go.jp> writes:

> Sure.  How about putting this change in the current emacs-unicode?

Why only on the branch?  That's always a risk of the development
sources, and they seem more unstable now than I was used to.

> Could you please improve the English text?

OK.