Stefan Monnier wrote on 23 Nov 2013: >> (add-hook 'deactivate-mark-hook (lambda () (setq cursor-type t))) >> (add-hook 'activate-mark-hook (lambda () (setq cursor-type 'bar))) > > I like the idea, but this collides with other uses of cursor-type. > Could someone cook up a patch which only does the above if cursor-type > has not been modified (and which lets users opt-out if they prefer). > Also, the patch should directly modify deactivate-mark and activate-mark > rather than using the hooks. Ok. Patch attached below. With dynamic-cursor-mode turned off, it won't interfere with other uses of cursor-type. And if you enable/disable dynamic-cursor-mode buffer-locally, it won't interfere with other uses of cursor-type in other buffers. In fact I have a couple of minor modes in my own packages that rely on this separation.