* nextstep copyright issues
@ 2008-07-16  3:04 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-07-16  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

At first glance, the following people listed in nextstep/AUTHORS do
not have copyright assignments (I could just be not seeing them):

Michael Brouwer  "NEEDS DISCLAIMER BEFORE NEW CONTRIBUTIONS ACCEPTED?"
                 (probably OK...)
Christian Limpach (only gnus)
Christophe de Dinechin

These contributions sound like they might be tiny:

Scott Byer (only gnus)
Scott Hess
Rahul Abrol
Adam Ratcliffe
David M. Cooke
Carsten Bormann
Andrew Moore

And none of the "GNUstep port" people (probably no code).

doc/emacs/ns-emacs.texi needs the copyright holders (but see above)
and license fixing.  It also lists some people not in
nextstep/AUTHORS without assignment: Leigh Smith, Steve Nygard.
(probably this should all be merged and moved into AUTHORS).

nextstep/GNUstep/Emacs.base/Resource/emacs.tiff should have a README
like those in etc/images.  (Does this file need to be here rather than
in etc/images?)

* Re: nextstep copyright issues
@ 2008-07-16 12:05 ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2008-07-16 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm <at> gnu.org> writes:

> At first glance, the following people listed in nextstep/AUTHORS do
> not have copyright assignments (I could just be not seeing them):
>
> Michael Brouwer  "NEEDS DISCLAIMER BEFORE NEW CONTRIBUTIONS ACCEPTED?"
>                  (probably OK...)
> Christian Limpach (only gnus)
> Christophe de Dinechin

All three of them should be on file.  I spent several weeks back
in 2005 tracking down the people needing copyrights and hounding
them to sign. ;)  All three definitely said to me they did so.  I
remember Christophe in particular confirmed that he received
something back from the FSF (he had to get a disclaimer from his
employer in fact).

> These contributions sound like they might be tiny:

This is correct, except for Adam Ratcliffe <adam@prema.co.nz>,
who wrote the Preferences Panel section of ns-emacs.texi.  I am
not sure whether he signed papers or not.

> And none of the "GNUstep port" people (probably no code).

Correct.

> doc/emacs/ns-emacs.texi needs the copyright holders (but see
> above) and license fixing.  It also lists some people not in
> nextstep/AUTHORS without assignment: Leigh Smith, Steve Nygard.

As that file says, Leigh Smith maintained the SourceForge site
for a period.  AUTHORS is about contributors to Emacs.app itself.
Steve Nygard worked on unexnext.c.  Since this file was in GNU
Emacs itself until a month or two ago (Dan N.'s obsolete systems
cleanout) I assumed it was credited elsewhere (and papers taken
care of).

> nextstep/GNUstep/Emacs.base/Resource/emacs.tiff should have a
> README like those in etc/images.  (Does this file need to be
> here rather than in etc/images?)

It does not need to be there I guess, but it followed the
convention for
nextstep/Cocoa/Emacs.base/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns, which in
turn followed the Carbon port
mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns.  All three are the
icon used for Emacs.  Keeping them there keeps the app packaging
support structure consolidated and avoids the need for extra code
in the Makefile to copy them separately.

* Re: nextstep copyright issues
@ 2008-07-16 12:25   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-16 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: emacs-devel

Adrian Robert <Adrian.B.Robert@gmail.com> writes:
>> nextstep/GNUstep/Emacs.base/Resource/emacs.tiff should have a
>> README like those in etc/images.  (Does this file need to be
>> here rather than in etc/images?)
>
> It does not need to be there I guess, but it followed the convention
> for nextstep/Cocoa/Emacs.base/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns, which in
> turn followed the Carbon port
> mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns.  All three are the icon
> used for Emacs.  Keeping them there keeps the app packaging support
> structure consolidated and avoids the need for extra code in the
> Makefile to copy them separately.

This seems reasonable to me.

The images in etc/images/... are all installed in a similarly named
directory, so it makes sense to put them together in the source
directory too, but the nextstep images are not installed in that place.

It seems reasonableand for the nextstep code to do the same thing with
its files (keep to-be-installed-together files together in the source
directory too).

-Miles

--
Run away!  Run away!

* Re: nextstep copyright issues
@ 2008-07-16 17:23   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-07-16 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: emacs-devel

Adrian Robert wrote:

> All three of them should be on file.

I'll ask fsf-records.

> This is correct, except for Adam Ratcliffe <adam@prema.co.nz>,
> who wrote the Preferences Panel section of ns-emacs.texi.  I am
> not sure whether he signed papers or not.

I will ask.

> Steve Nygard worked on unexnext.c.

I see his assignment now.

>> nextstep/GNUstep/Emacs.base/Resource/emacs.tiff should have a
>> README like those in etc/images.  (Does this file need to be
>> here rather than in etc/images?)
>
> It does not need to be there I guess, but it followed the convention
> for nextstep/Cocoa/Emacs.base/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns, which
> in turn followed the Carbon port
> mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns. All three are the icon
> used for Emacs. Keeping them there keeps the app packaging support
> structure consolidated and avoids the need for extra code in the
> Makefile to copy them separately.

Fine. Can you add a README as per etc/images then?

The mac directory with the *.icns should have one too.

* Re: nextstep copyright issues
@ 2008-07-17 16:51     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-07-17 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert, Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Here's what I have found out from fsf-records at gnu.
(I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow and am unlikely to be able to do any
more for the next few weeks. Hopefully someone can come up with a plan
of what to do about this.)

    Christian Limpach
    >  Christian.Limpach at cl.cam.ac.uk

    My records indicate that although Christian was sent an assignment for
    past changes in October of 2005, he has yet to return the assignment.
    251601.

    > Christophe de Dinechin
    >  christophe at dinechin.org

    My records indicate that Christophe for whatever reasons did not
    want to send the assignment through the post (a requirement to
    have your assignment recorded) and that he then did not respond to
    a follow up message I sent a year later (though that could have
    been because of a strong spam filter). 231359.
[Adrian's positive he had a pdf copy sent to him at one point from Christophe.]

    > Adam Ratcliffe
    >  adam at prema.co.nz

    Nothing on file
[The size of these contributions has not been established.]

Michael Brouwer's contributions are fine.

* Re: nextstep copyright issues
@ 2008-07-17 19:02       ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2008-07-17 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

On Jul 17, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:

> Here's what I have found out from fsf-records at gnu.
> (I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow and am unlikely to be able to do any
> more for the next few weeks. Hopefully someone can come up with a plan
> of what to do about this.)

OK, thanks for checking into this.  For now, I've sent Christian
Limpach and Christophe de Dinechin email about it.

-Adrian