* [Emacs-diffs] master e7c1fa9: * doc/lispref/display.texi (SVG Images): Add menu for subsection.
@ 2019-08-01 17:46 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-08-01 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn,

Are you sure you needed this change for Makeinfo 4.x?  I deliberately
made the section a @node-less @subsubheading, so that a menu won't be
needed (and also for other reasons).  I just tried building the ELisp
manual with makeinfo 4.13, after removing that menu, and didn't see
any problems or error messages.

* Re: master e7c1fa9: * doc/lispref/display.texi (SVG Images): Add menu for subsection.
@ 2019-08-03 21:01 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2019-08-03 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Are you sure you needed this change for Makeinfo 4.x?  I deliberately
> made the section a @node-less @subsubheading, so that a menu won't be
> needed (and also for other reasons).  I just tried building the ELisp
> manual with makeinfo 4.13, after removing that menu, and didn't see
> any problems or error messages.

No, it was needed between d6bc55ae2d and 0a2461be9e, and
5f78e81af0 and 3134137bdd, but not after.

BTW, I wonder if keeping makeinfo-4 compatibility is worth it.
I appreciate the significant speed-up of the older version,
but it feels like compilation of doc/ not-infrequently breaks due to
changes that are acceptable to perl-based makeinfo but not to the C
version.

* Re: master e7c1fa9: * doc/lispref/display.texi (SVG Images): Add menu for subsection.
@ 2019-08-04 16:45   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-08-04 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 17:01:12 -0400
>
> BTW, I wonder if keeping makeinfo-4 compatibility is worth it.
> I appreciate the significant speed-up of the older version,
> but it feels like compilation of doc/ not-infrequently breaks due to
> changes that are acceptable to perl-based makeinfo but not to the C
> version.

I don't have strong opinions about this.  I myself stopped using
makeinfo 4.x routinely long ago, since the Perl version (when used
with the C parser) is "fast enough" for me.  It is still about 5 times
slower than the C version, so if people who care about speed want us
to keep the compatibility, I'm willing to continue doing so as long as
it isn't a significant burden.