* Re: master a37eba8: Speed up initialization by preferring /dev/urandom to GnuTLS
       [not found] ` <20161030030058.972D62201D5@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2016-10-30  6:45   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-10-30  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Daniel Colascione

dancol@dancol.org (Daniel Colascione) writes:

> +  /* If that didn't work, try using GnuTLS, which is secure, but on
> +     some systems, can be somewhat slow.  */

Did anybody make an attempt at determining why this is slow on the
reported system?  If calling that function is slow on that system, then
presumably that means that opening a TLS connection will now be
inexplicably slow the first time, right?

* Re: master a37eba8: Speed up initialization by preferring /dev/urandom to GnuTLS
@ 2016-10-30  6:51     ` Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2016-10-30  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> dancol@dancol.org (Daniel Colascione) writes:
>
>> +  /* If that didn't work, try using GnuTLS, which is secure, but on
>> +     some systems, can be somewhat slow.  */
>
> Did anybody make an attempt at determining why this is slow on the
> reported system?  If calling that function is slow on that system, then
> presumably that means that opening a TLS connection will now be
> inexplicably slow the first time, right?

The system isn't managed by me and has some custom security certificate
crud that I didn't feel like digging into. You're right about TLS
connection delays, but I'm more willing to tolerate the delay in
connecting over a network (which is slow anyway) than I am in
process startup.

* Re: master a37eba8: Speed up initialization by preferring /dev/urandom to GnuTLS
@ 2016-10-31 15:39       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-10-31 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Colascione; +Cc: larsi, emacs-devel

> From: Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>
> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 23:51:21 -0700
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > dancol@dancol.org (Daniel Colascione) writes:
> >
> >> +  /* If that didn't work, try using GnuTLS, which is secure, but on
> >> +     some systems, can be somewhat slow.  */
> >
> > Did anybody make an attempt at determining why this is slow on the
> > reported system?  If calling that function is slow on that system, then
> > presumably that means that opening a TLS connection will now be
> > inexplicably slow the first time, right?
>
> The system isn't managed by me and has some custom security certificate
> crud that I didn't feel like digging into. You're right about TLS
> connection delays, but I'm more willing to tolerate the delay in
> connecting over a network (which is slow anyway) than I am in
> process startup.

I think the decision was to install this on emacs-25, so please
cherry-pick from master.

Thanks.