* Preview: portable dumper
@ 2016-11-30 21:58 Tobias Gerdin
From: Tobias Gerdin @ 2016-11-30 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: dancol

Since some years there has been the intention of switching to Guile for Emacs' Lisp needs. As I understand it one of the major issues to be resolved is the lack of Guile unexec support, so would it not be prudent to consider the implications for a (possible) future Guile Emacs? Something along the lines of what Eli proposed (the ”one big .elc”approach) is a requested feature by one of the Guile maintainers[1].

During the last few years there has been a fair amount of work put in to modernise Emacs Lisp (lexical binding probably being the most notable accomplishment). Still, Emacs Lisp has a long way to go to match a high-quality Scheme implementation.
So I am wondering if the time used to play catch-up with modern Lisps would not be better spent by integrating Guile? There seems to have been a lot of focus on performance in Guile the last few years and it also comes with good concurrency support (which has been another area of focus in Emacs). Recently another concurrency mechanism which may be a better fit than threads has also appeared in Guile [2]. There has also been discussion of making it easier for recruit new Emacs developers. I believe that adopting Guile and Scheme would be the single most important step towards this aim.

Given the number of talented hackers in the Emacs and Guile community I would say that making Guile-Emacs a reality is a definitely possible. However, it would probably require to work together actively towards this goal, as opposed to fragmented hacking by single developers.

-Tobias

[1]: https://wingolog.org/archives/2016/02/04/guile-compiler-tasks
[2]: https://github.com/wingo/fibers

* Re: Spending time on Guile Emacs?
@ 2016-12-01 20:48 Tobias Gerdin
From: Tobias Gerdin @ 2016-12-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Did we ever address the mismatch between Guile strings and Emacs ones? >> We can't depend on everything being valid UTF-8. > > Guile-Emacs has an "easy" solution for this: there are 2 kinds of strings, > the Scheme strings and the Emacs strings.

In addition there is the text properties support. Unless one unifies the two representations (perhaps via a compile-time flag if Emacs will be statically linked with Guile) I think the challenge is to make it easy and not too expensive to convert between them.

-Tobias