From: Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler@lucent.com>
Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: my Emacs is broken
Date: 19 Aug 2002 17:23:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Markus,

    Richard> Karl Zeitler said that this change was necessary to fix a problem

I assume he's talking about me (Klaus Zeitler :-)

    Richard> for him on Solaris.  If it causes some other problem, I could
    Richard> remove the change, but that would bring back the problem he
    Richard> fixed.  It would be better if we could fix both problems.
    Richard> However, only Solaris users can figure out what is really right
    Richard> to do.

    Richard> From: Markus Rost <rost@math.ohio-state.edu>
    Richard> To: rms@gnu.org
    Richard> Subject: my Emacs is broken
    Richard>
    Richard> My Emacs is broken:  It starts an X window, but that is blank and
    Richard> does not react to any input.  This is in
    Richard>
    Richard> In GNU Emacs ---current CVS--- (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, X toolkit)
    Richard>
    Richard> I guess this problem is related with this change:
    Richard>
    Richard> 2002-08-17  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
    Richard>
    Richard> 	* s/sol2-5.h (BROKEN_SIGIO): Add #undef.
    Richard>
    Richard> At least, after undoing this change and recompiling, Emacs
    Richard> started out well.

I've fetched the newest CVS and compiled under Solaris 5.8. Works fine for
me. No problems.

Could you please check/try:

1. you also have the newest sysdep.c, i.e. should contain

#ifndef VMS
#include <sys/file.h>
#endif /* not VMS */

2. check if /usr/include/sys/file.h contains a define for FASYNC

3. run configure and then rebuild

BTW this patch was necessary to make Ctrl-g work in endless loops.
I assume if you're trying something like (while t nil) followed by C-j
then emacs will loop and you can't interrupt.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |
---
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President.
Now I'm beginning to believe it.              -- Clarence Darrow