* Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) : trying to save as mac-roman
@ 2003-02-25 20:01 Antoine Gautier
From: Antoine Gautier @ 2003-02-25 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Here is a copy of a post I made on gnu.emacs.help, I am beginning to
suspect that I either found a bug or that my installation is flawed.

I just installed Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4)
on mac os X 10.2.4, and I have no succes trying to save mac-roman
encoded files (saving as latin1 works fine).

I tried adding a number of things to my .emacs, such as

(prefer-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
(set-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
(set default-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)

with no result. The files do get saved, but are unreadable by other mac
apps. Even re-opening them with emacs I get a bunch of ????'s (only
accentuated characters such as é, à, ô, etc. come out OK : 'été' gets
saved as 'é?é').

Trying to set the coding from emacs (c-x ret f mac-roman) does not help
either.

For some odd reason I can correctly open mac-roman files, but saving
them does not work.

Also : whenever I lauch emacs.app I get the following message on
console.app :

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias
of type (regR/carP/x!bt)

but lauching terminal.app does that too.

Maybe it has to do with the many emacs's installed in /usr/bin (?)

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Regards,

Antoine Gautier

Faculté des Sciences de l'administration
Université Laval
internet : http://www.fsa.ulaval.ca/personnel/gautiera/
courriel : antoine.gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca