* Should outline-minor-mode be globalized?
@ 2016-04-04  2:39 raman
From: raman @ 2016-04-04  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It's nice to be able to globally turn on font-lock mode; on a similar
note, it would be nice to be able to turn on outline-minor-mode
globally -- rather than   setting mode-specific hooks to turn on
outline-minor-mode.

Is there any risk in globalizing outline-minor-mode?

* Re: Should outline-minor-mode be globalized?
@ 2016-04-04  5:16 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-04-04  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> It's nice to be able to globally turn on font-lock mode; on a similar note,
> it would be nice to be able to turn on outline-minor-mode globally -- rather
> than setting mode-specific hooks to turn on outline-minor-mode.

> Is there any risk in globalizing outline-minor-mode?

Wouldn't it really just be applicable in text-mode derived buffers? I have a
hard time seeing its value when turned on for dired, Gnus, *Help*,
compilation, etc.

* Re: Should outline-minor-mode be globalized?
@ 2016-04-04 12:39   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-04-04 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> It's nice to be able to globally turn on font-lock mode; on a similar note,
>> it would be nice to be able to turn on outline-minor-mode globally -- rather
>> than setting mode-specific hooks to turn on outline-minor-mode.
>> Is there any risk in globalizing outline-minor-mode?

> Wouldn't it really just be applicable in text-mode derived buffers?

Actually I wouldn't expect it to be very much used in text-mode buffers.
These use-cases are probably better supported by outline-mode or org-mode.

But maybe

    (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook #'outline-minor-mode)

covers Raman's needs?

* Re: Should outline-minor-mode be globalized?
@ 2016-04-04 15:25   ` raman
From: raman @ 2016-04-04 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

Hi John,

The following is admittedly a power-user scenario, but other places
(other than text-mode) where I have turned on outline-minor-mode:

1. w3-mode in the past
2. eww-mode

Both of the above when reading ebooks from places like Project
Gutenberg.

In many of those instances, you can productively jump by chapter etc by
appropriately setting outline-regexp to something like "^CHAPTER" and
then using outline-minor-mode navigation commands.

--Raman

@ 2016-04-05 15:29     ` raman
From: raman @ 2016-04-05 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

outline-minor-mode would be nice in prog-modes -- but there many of the
needs are served by selective display since programming languages
usually rely on indentation to show  structure visually.