* Intercepting input in comint
@ 2015-12-01 13:47 Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2015-12-01 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi everyone,

In a comint buffer, I'd like to intercept certain kinds of inputs from
the user.

For certain kinds of patterns, I'd like to side-step comint and call a
function instead (and avoid the command to be sent to the inferior process).

A logical place seems to be comint-input-filter-functions, except I
cannot prevent the command to be sent to the process there.

Do I have to override comint-input-sender?
Any other advice?

* Re: Intercepting input in comint
@ 2015-12-03 13:16 ` Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2015-12-03 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri D'Elia; +Cc: emacs-devel

You can do this by setting comint-input-sender to a function that can
intercept the entered commands.

I'm doing exactly this in gnu-apl-mode:
https://github.com/lokedhs/gnu-apl-mode/blob/a4fdcede138a4777b1fa3780574ef931d155f464/gnu-apl-interactive.el#L219

Regards,
Elias

@ 2015-12-04 11:04   ` Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2015-12-04 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 03/12/15 14:16, Elias Mårtenson wrote:
> You can do this by setting comint-input-sender to a function that can
> intercept the entered commands.
>
> I'm doing exactly this in
> gnu-apl-mode: https://github.com/lokedhs/gnu-apl-mode/blob/a4fdcede138a4777b1fa3780574ef931d155f464/gnu-apl-interactive.el#L219

Thanks for the example.

I feared to miss some other higher-level entry points I could use.

* Re: Intercepting input in comint
@ 2015-12-04 11:05   ` Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2015-12-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 03/12/15 14:16, Elias Mårtenson wrote:
> You can do this by setting comint-input-sender to a function that can
> intercept the entered commands.
>
> I'm doing exactly this in
> gnu-apl-mode: https://github.com/lokedhs/gnu-apl-mode/blob/a4fdcede138a4777b1fa3780574ef931d155f464/gnu-apl-interactive.el#L219

Thanks for the example. Very helpful.