* Why does 'make clean' not clean the etc/ directory?
@ 2007-07-31 19:26 Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2007-07-31 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The toplevel Makefile does not clean up the etc/ directory in the
targets {mostly,,dist,maintainer-}clean, unlike the other directories.
The result is that useless stale DOC-* files are left there, is this
an oversight?  I had expected them to disappear upon 'make clean' in
the toplevel directory.

* Re: Why does 'make clean' not clean the etc/ directory?
@ 2007-08-01  5:39 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-08-01  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Joachim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sven Joachim wrote:

> The toplevel Makefile does not clean up the etc/ directory in the
> targets {mostly,,dist,maintainer-}clean, unlike the other directories.

It does. The top-level Makefile calls src/Makefile for the various
clean options, and these do delete the etc/DOC* files. I guess it's
because etc/DOC* is generated from src/, not from etc/.

> The result is that useless stale DOC-* files are left there, is this
> an oversight?  I had expected them to disappear upon 'make clean' in
> the toplevel directory.

make clean only deletes DOC; you have to use distclean to get rid of
DOC-*. Admittedly, this does mean that src/Makefile is inconsistent
with etc/Makefile (which deletes DOC* for clean).