At Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:18:38 -0700 (PDT), Paul Eggert wrote: > > init_buffer uses environmental variable PWD to identify current > > working directory. I think we should not use it on Windows. On > > Windows with Cygwin, PWD is unreliable and confusing > > PWD is unreliable on all platforms, but Emacs works around the problem > with a similar method on all platforms by statting $PWD and ".", and > using $PWD only if stat results agree. What is the problem with > this workaround on Windows? You cannot get st_ino which makes sence (without cygwin1.dll). Compile stattest.c on Windows by MSVC (cl.exe), and you will see: ---- $ ./stattest stattest.c: 0 stattest.exe: 0 .: 0 ..: 0 C:\: 0 C:\WINNT: 0 nonexist: stat failed ---- I wrote, compiled and run this code on Windows 2000 SP2 SRP1 with NTFS partition. -- Keiichiro Nagano