* calc-menu.el.gz has "-rwxr-xr-x"
@ 2008-02-26 21:42 Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-02-26 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi All,

[GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.8) of
2008-02-22]

I happen to be browsing calc/ directory and discover that
calc-menu.el.gz is executable, unlike the rest of other .el files.

Is this a bug?

Bye,
--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

          Use the best OS -- http://www.fedoraproject.org/

* Re: calc-menu.el.gz has "-rwxr-xr-x"
@ 2008-02-27 17:17 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2008-02-27 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

> I happen to be browsing calc/ directory and discover that
> calc-menu.el.gz is executable, unlike the rest of other .el files.

I don't know when the executable bit got turned on.  I don't know how to
remove the bit using cvs (short of removing and re-adding the file);
perhaps someone else does.

> Is this a bug?

I can't imagine that it would affect anything.

Jay

* Re: calc-menu.el.gz has "-rwxr-xr-x"
@ 2008-02-27 18:22   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jay Belanger <jay.p.belanger@gmail.com> writes:

>> I happen to be browsing calc/ directory and discover that
>> calc-menu.el.gz is executable, unlike the rest of other .el files.
>
> I don't know when the executable bit got turned on.  I don't know how to
> remove the bit using cvs (short of removing and re-adding the file);
> perhaps someone else does.

I don't know neither and I'd be glad to learn how to do this.

In the meantime, I fixed this using the silly remove-me-and-add-me-back
technique.

--
Bastien

* Re: calc-menu.el.gz has "-rwxr-xr-x"
@ 2008-02-27 18:50     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2008-02-27 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Jay Belanger <jay.p.belanger@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I happen to be browsing calc/ directory and discover that
>>> calc-menu.el.gz is executable, unlike the rest of other .el files.
>>
>> I don't know when the executable bit got turned on.  I don't know how to
>> remove the bit using cvs (short of removing and re-adding the file);
>> perhaps someone else does.
>
> I don't know neither and I'd be glad to learn how to do this.

AFAIK it can only be fixed by directly modifying the repository.

Andreas.

* Re: calc-menu.el.gz has "-rwxr-xr-x"
@ 2008-02-27 19:22     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-02-27 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

> From: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:22:06 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Jay Belanger <jay.p.belanger@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> I happen to be browsing calc/ directory and discover that
> >> calc-menu.el.gz is executable, unlike the rest of other .el files.
> >
> > I don't know when the executable bit got turned on.  I don't know how to
> > remove the bit using cvs (short of removing and re-adding the file);
> > perhaps someone else does.
>
> I don't know neither and I'd be glad to learn how to do this.
>
> In the meantime, I fixed this using the silly remove-me-and-add-me-back
> technique.

Doesn't this nuke the CVS history?

* Re: calc-menu.el.gz has "-rwxr-xr-x"
@ 2008-02-27 20:34       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-02-27 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-devel, jay.p.belanger

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> In the meantime, I fixed this using the silly remove-me-and-add-me-back
>> technique.
>
> Doesn't this nuke the CVS history?

I would have thought so, but it seems not. It also seems not to change
the permissions.

It seems if you remove a file and re-add it with exactly the same
name, CVS continues the history on from before the removal.

But the permissions haven't changed (because the ,v file was just
moved into the Attic and back again?).

So I guess there is _literally_ no way to do it without modifying the
,v file directly (which is probably what Andreas's typically
minimalist reply meant).

* Re: calc-menu.el.gz has "-rwxr-xr-x"
@ 2008-02-27 21:40         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-02-27 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Bastien, Eli Zaretskii, jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

On 2008-02-27 20:34 +0000, Glenn Morris wrote:
> So I guess there is _literally_ no way to do it without modifying the
> ,v file directly (which is probably what Andreas's typically
> minimalist reply meant).

It seems quite difficult to change the permissions. BTW, could the
`install' do something about it?

--

@ 2008-02-27 23:19           ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2008-02-27 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
> It seems quite difficult to change the permissions. BTW, could the
> `install' do something about it?

It'd probably be better to change the permissions in CVS; I'll write to
the Savannah hackers and see if they can change the ,v file.

Jay