* Deprecated C-x bindings
@ 2007-02-06 10:12 Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2007-02-06 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The following bindings were marked as deprecated in Emacs 20:

 C-x /  (point-to-register-compatibility-binding)
 C-x j  (jump-to-register-compatibility-binding)
 C-x x  (copy-to-register-compatibility-binding)
 C-x g  (insert-register-compatibility-binding)

There are equivalent bindings in the C-x r map, which is the logical
place for register commands.

We might want to use these keys for more interesting things in the
future, so now (before the release) would be a good time to reclaim
them.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: Deprecated C-x bindings
@ 2007-02-06 12:17 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-02-06 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> The following bindings were marked as deprecated in Emacs 20:
>
>  C-x /  (point-to-register-compatibility-binding)
>  C-x j  (jump-to-register-compatibility-binding)
>  C-x x  (copy-to-register-compatibility-binding)
>  C-x g  (insert-register-compatibility-binding)
>
> There are equivalent bindings in the C-x r map, which is the logical
> place for register commands.
>
> We might want to use these keys for more interesting things in the
> future, so now (before the release) would be a good time to reclaim
> them.

Agree 100%!!

Removing them now will give users of those bindings a couple of years
(using emacs 22) to teach their fingers the new bindings before we use
them for something else in emacs 23.

* Re: Deprecated C-x bindings
@ 2007-02-06 23:16 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-02-06 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Francoise; +Cc: emacs-devel

    We might want to use these keys for more interesting things in the
    future, so now (before the release) would be a good time to reclaim
    them.

Does anyone object?

* Re: Deprecated C-x bindings
@ 2007-02-09 14:27   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-02-09 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Romain Francoise, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     We might want to use these keys for more interesting things in the
>     future, so now (before the release) would be a good time to reclaim
>     them.
>
> Does anyone object?

Nobody has objected - shall I remove the bindings?

* Re: Deprecated C-x bindings
@ 2007-02-09 23:49     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-02-09 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: romain, emacs-devel

    Nobody has objected - shall I remove the bindings?

Yes, please do.

* Re: Deprecated C-x bindings
@ 2007-02-11 22:14 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-02-11 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> The following bindings were marked as deprecated in Emacs 20:
>
>  C-x /  (point-to-register-compatibility-binding)
>  C-x j  (jump-to-register-compatibility-binding)
>  C-x x  (copy-to-register-compatibility-binding)
>  C-x g  (insert-register-compatibility-binding)
>
> There are equivalent bindings in the C-x r map, which is the logical
> place for register commands.
>
> We might want to use these keys for more interesting things in the
> future, so now (before the release) would be a good time to reclaim
> them.

Thanks.  I have removed those bindings.

* forward-page binding and page-movement doc [was: Deprecated C-x bindings]
@ 2007-02-12 16:03   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-02-12 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> > The following bindings were marked as deprecated in Emacs 20:
> >
> >  C-x /  (point-to-register-compatibility-binding)
> >  C-x j  (jump-to-register-compatibility-binding)
> >  C-x x  (copy-to-register-compatibility-binding)
> >  C-x g  (insert-register-compatibility-binding)
> >
> > There are equivalent bindings in the C-x r map, which is
> > the logical place for register commands.
> >
> > We might want to use these keys for more interesting
> > things in the future, so now (before the release) would
> > be a good time to reclaim them.
>
> Thanks.  I have removed those bindings.

BTW, for after the release, I wonder if we shouldn't also free up `C-x ['
and `C-x ]'?

1. They are not particularly handy for repeated movement (except via `z z
z').

2. `C-s C-q C-l' (`C-s C-s...') is quicker for repeated movement among
pages. (I always use that.)

3. The use of `C-u C-]' is good, to move forward N pages, but that's
probably almost as useful without any binding (using `C-u M-x
forward-page').

Just a thought.

Independent of this, I think the Emacs manual should explicitly mention
(remind people of) `C-s C-q C-l' (`C-s C-s...'). It mentions using `C-q C-l'
to insert a page break, but it doesn't mention searching for page breaks.
This should be obvious, but a reminder wouldn't hurt.

* Re: forward-page binding and page-movement doc
@ 2007-02-12 16:29     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-02-12 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> BTW, for after the release, I wonder if we shouldn't also free up `C-x ['
> and `C-x ]'?
> 1. They are not particularly handy for repeated movement (except via `z z z').

It'd be pretty natural to extend C-x ] to C-x ] ] ] ] ] ] ...
Martin Blais wrote repeatable.el which does just that (and also allows
C-x ] ] ] [ [ [ ] ...).

* Re: forward-page binding and page-movement doc [was: Deprecated  C-x bindings]
@ 2007-02-12 18:31     ` Stuart D. Herring
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2007-02-12 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> BTW, for after the release, I wonder if we shouldn't also free up `C-x ['
> and `C-x ]'?
>
> 1. They are not particularly handy for repeated movement (except via `z z
> z').

When using these commands, I typically browse by pages, pausing briefly to
look at each one to see if it's the one that I want; I can easily have
already typed the next C-x during that time, and then C-g if I don't want
to go anywhere.

> 2. `C-s C-q C-l' (`C-s C-s...') is quicker for repeated movement among
> pages. (I always use that.)

That's not equivalent; from the 21.3 docs I see

forward-page is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `textmodes/page'.
(forward-page &optional COUNT)

Move forward to page boundary.  With arg, repeat, or go back if negative.
A page boundary is any line whose beginning matches the regexp
`page-delimiter'.

> 3. The use of `C-u C-]' is good, to move forward N pages, but that's
> probably almost as useful without any binding (using `C-u M-x
> forward-page').

As there is no `goto-page', it seems relatively likely to want to do M-<
C-u nnn C-x ].  I'd rather not extend that key sequence farther.

Davis

shipping.

* Re: forward-page binding and page-movement doc [was: Deprecated  C-x bindings]
@ 2007-02-13 16:27       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-02-13 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: herring; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

I do not want to eliminate C-x [ and C-x ].  They are useful commands
and go with other page commands.

Thanks.

* RE: forward-page binding and page-movement doc [was: Deprecated C-x bindings]
@ 2007-02-13 17:31         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-02-13 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I do not want to eliminate C-x [ and C-x ].  They are useful commands
> and go with other page commands.

Any chance that searching for `C-l' (`C-s C-q C-l') could also be mentioned
in the manual, in the same node that inserting `C-l' and `C-x [' are
discussed?