[missive contains replies to Alan Shutko, Ed Reingold; quotes are attributed by initials] Alan Shutko writes: AS> First, some general comments. Your diff is reversed. Next time, Doh! Sorry :) AS> Second, those files have changes a bit since the version you're True. For some reason I was under the impression that the calendar mode was frozen for a long time. Not sure why I thought that. AS> specification of colors for sexp diary entries (currently, only in the AS> calendar display), and font-lock has been enabled. Perty! AS> The way the sexp entry coloration works is that you specify a face in AS> the sexp. This lets you specify not only foreground color, but also AS> slants, under or overline, inverse video, background, etc. Interesting. I don't like this approach, because it forces the user of calendar mode to define faces himself. I know that for me, at least, it is much more useful to just say "[color:green]" than to create a face dedicated to having a green fg. My new patches keep my approach (of just specifying a fg color), but still use the sexp face marking if it is specified by the user. AS> You added arguments to a number of functions, but you didn't change AS> other files that use them. Guilty as charged. Meant to make the args &optional, but apparently forgot. Fixed now. AS> I don't think it's very helpful to have the file glob color in the AS> diary-entries-list. Hmm. The reason I did it as I did, was that I wanted to keep a notion of which file an entry came from. I agree that re-parsing for the colors is silly, so made the change you suggest. AS> I'd disagree that sexps are necessarily less important than regular AS> entries, btw. If you don't see your anniversary on the calendar because AS> the color to pick your kid up after school overrode it, you're in for AS> a heap of trouble.... I disagree. An irritated spouse is much better than a kid stranded for 8 hours after school ;) I refer you to one of the early episodes of _Malcolm in the Middle_ for proof. However, even if I wanted to change this, I don't think it would be an easy change to make. sexp's get parsed for completely separately from non-sexp's, so it would require a priority system that I just don't think is worth it. Then Ed Reingold wrote: ER> I like the idea, but the characters used to set off the colors (square ER> brackets and the colon) should be user-definable, just like the non-marking ER> symbol, sexp-expression symbol, etc. I often use square brackets and colons ER> in my diary entries! Good point. Added defcustoms for diary-color-regexp and diary-glob-file-color-regexp. One other feature I added (at the request of Kai Grossjohann) is the prefixing of diary entries with the filename from which they came. This is controlled by the defcustom diary-file-name-prefix which defaults to nil since I don't like it :) Please check out the attached patches (against current CVS, and in the right order this time :)) and let me know of any comments, suggestions, questions, or flames. Cheers, -- Ami Fischman usenet@fischman.org