* GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-21 15:43 Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2007-09-21 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, ding

Hi *,

I'm experiencing a strange and most annoying problem with gnus:

in some Newsgroups (especially those with much unread messages, but
this might just be an coincidence) while reading a thread I get
articles displayed, which are totally unrelated and certainly don't
match the active line in the summary buffer.

For an example see this "screenshot":

   [  30: topmind                ] Re: Design Patterns and Functional
R +    [ 107: Kent M Pitman          ]
           [  40: Don Geddis             ]
  +            [  30: Kent M Pitman          ]
-111:----F1  Gnus: c.l.lisp [231816] {16467 more}   Top (2,13) (Summary
From:  Mariano Montone <marianomontone@gmail.com>
Subject: Message passing syntax
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 02:10:14 -0000

The currently marked "active" article is the `R' marked article by
Kent M Pitman, but as you can see gnus really displays an article by
Mariano Montone, where not even the subject matches.

I see this phenomenon in different groups and different threads.
Sometimes only a few messages scattered other an thread are
affected, sometimes whole threads victims of this problem.

It's 100% reproducible: Once I saw the problem with one message I can
even close Emacs completely, after re-entering the group the message
in question will still be replaced on display be the same unrelated
other message.

It seems only to affect net-news, never experienced this with mail
groups.

Originally I stumbled across the problem in Emacs CVS HEAD (gnus
5.11), but I just tried ngnus.tar.gz and gnus-5.10.8 and all behave
exactly the same.  Maybe the problem is in some way or the other
"cached", so that I see it even with gnus versions, not having the
bug?  Or might it be a bug in Emacs CVS HEAD, which is triggered by
gnus in this strange fashion?

Any hints and tips and especially workarounds are highly appreciated!

I very much depend on gnus as a mail and news reader and this problem
is highly annoying and kind of alarming at the same time...

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
... mein Opa [...]  würde an dieser Stelle zu Dir sagen: Junge, such Dir

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-22 10:04 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-09-22 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:

> in some Newsgroups (especially those with much unread messages, but
> this might just be an coincidence) while reading a thread I get
> articles displayed, which are totally unrelated and certainly don't
> match the active line in the summary buffer.

A shot in the dark: are those groups "virtual groups"?

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-22 18:32   ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2007-09-22 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) wrote:

> Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:
>
>> in some Newsgroups (especially those with much unread messages, but
>> this might just be an coincidence) while reading a thread I get
>> articles displayed, which are totally unrelated and certainly don't
>> match the active line in the summary buffer.
>
> A shot in the dark: are those groups "virtual groups"?

No, ordinary net news groups.

sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Well, *my* brain likes to think it's vastly more powerful than any

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-22 19:11     ` Nelson Ferreira
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2007-09-22 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-24 12:47       ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2007-09-24 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

Nelson Ferreira <njsf@sxemacs.org> wrote:
> "Sascha" == Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de>  wrote:
>   Sascha> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) wrote:
>   >> Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:
>   >>> in some Newsgroups (especially those with much unread messages, but
>   >>> this might just be an coincidence) while reading a thread I get
>   >>> articles displayed, which are totally unrelated and certainly don't
>   >>> match the active line in the summary buffer.
[...]
> I experienced that on gnus.emacs.general on news.individual.net, but

So I'm not alone!  :-)
FWIW: in my case the problem occurs with news.individual.net, too.
So the phenomenon _might_ be related to the server.

> went away after I catch-up the group.

In my case, too.  But if I look at the old articles (using C-u M-g) I
can still see it -- or to put it in the way I feel: I still can't read
certain threads.

> I assumed it might have been some mismatch between the nntp server
> article ordering and gnus, but maybe it is a bug.

In any case the interesting question would be, what is the cached
information, which leads to this problem and is there an way to purge
it?

cheers
Sascha
--
Sascha Wilde

If you think technology can solve your problems you don't understand
technology and you don't understand your problems.  (Bruce Schneier)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-24 15:03         ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2007-09-24 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Wilde; +Cc: emacs-devel, ding

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:47:04 +0200, Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> said:

> Nelson Ferreira <njsf@sxemacs.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> I experienced that on gnus.emacs.general on news.individual.net, but

> So I'm not alone!  :-) FWIW: in my case the problem occurs with
> news.individual.net, too.  So the phenomenon _might_ be related to the
> server.

>> went away after I catch-up the group.

> In my case, too.  But if I look at the old articles (using C-u M-g) I
> can still see it -- or to put it in the way I feel: I still can't read
> certain threads.

        I had that happen to me in an nnml group; and yes, it went away
 after a while.  I  did not have time to debug what was going on, I just
 ignored the summary buffer information for the duration.

        manoj
--
Love means having to say you're sorry every five minutes.