* ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22  0:42 Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2014-04-22  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

Just now merging easy-kill updates into ELPA somehow all files are
merged into elpa/admin overriding things there.

How could I fix this? (It seems cannot reset HEAD to before my push).

Sorry about this. The process has been smooth in the past so I was
surprised to discover otherwise.

Leo

* Re: ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22  1:25 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2014-04-22  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Just now merging easy-kill updates into ELPA somehow all files are
> merged into elpa/admin overriding things there.

That's weird. I wonder how you perform the merges.

> How could I fix this? (It seems cannot reset HEAD to before my push).

'git revert 6e73bbb -m 1' seems to be what you're looking for.

Although maybe we'd prefer someone with admin access to force push the
result of 'git reset --hard a1fe7f0'.

* Re: ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22  1:44   ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2014-04-22  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2014-04-22 05:25 +0400, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>> Just now merging easy-kill updates into ELPA somehow all files are
>> merged into elpa/admin overriding things there.
>
> That's weird. I wonder how you perform the merges.

I did: git pull -s subtree easy-kill master

where easy-kill is a remote.

>> How could I fix this? (It seems cannot reset HEAD to before my push).
>
> 'git revert 6e73bbb -m 1' seems to be what you're looking for.
>
> Although maybe we'd prefer someone with admin access to force push the
> result of 'git reset --hard a1fe7f0'.

Thanks I'll wait a bit before using revert.

Leo

* Re: ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22  3:20   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-04-22  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Leo Liu, emacs-devel

> Although maybe we'd prefer someone with admin access to force push the
> result of 'git reset --hard a1fe7f0'.

You'd have to open a ticket on savannah for that.  And it could bring
trouble to people pulling from that branch.  So ... let's not.

* Re: ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22  3:45     ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2014-04-22  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2014-04-21 23:20 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Although maybe we'd prefer someone with admin access to force push the
>> result of 'git reset --hard a1fe7f0'.
>
> You'd have to open a ticket on savannah for that.  And it could bring
> trouble to people pulling from that branch.  So ... let's not.
>

>         Stefan

If I did a revert and do subtree again it says: Already up-to-date and
refuse to merge. What to do?

Thanks,
Leo

* Re: ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22  8:42       ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2014-04-22  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2014-04-22 11:45 +0800, Leo Liu wrote:
> If I did a revert and do subtree again it says: Already up-to-date and
> refuse to merge. What to do?

I have done my best to fix it. Sorry if there are remaining issues.

Very sorry about this misstep,
Leo

* Re: ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22 10:58         ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2014-04-22 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

() Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com>
() Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:42:56 +0800

   I have done my best to fix it.

I'm no Git expert and would like to avoid trouble in the future.
Could you please summarize what happened, including the commands
issued?

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502

* Re: ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22 14:36         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-04-22 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I have done my best to fix it. Sorry if there are remaining issues.

No problem, thank you.  If we could figure out why it went wrong, it
would help avoid the problem in the future.

Of course, using `elpa' as the upstream rather than a separate branch to
which you merge occasionally would completely circumvent the problem ;-)

BTW, could you please fix easy-kill/test.el by adding to it the
regular header?

* Re: ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22 15:50           ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2014-04-22 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2014-04-22 10:36 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> No problem, thank you.  If we could figure out why it went wrong, it
> would help avoid the problem in the future.

Kinda hard for me to dig into what went wrong. I repeated the `git pull
-s subtree ...' and it worked this time. Try adding the
packages/easy-kill/ and git complained the prefix already exists.

I guess I just have to double check changes were made to the correct
subdirectory.

> Of course, using `elpa' as the upstream rather than a separate branch
> to which you merge occasionally would completely circumvent the
> problem ;-)

Yes, eventually that should happen.

> BTW, could you please fix easy-kill/test.el by adding to it the
> regular header?

Fixed.

Thanks,
Leo

* Re: ELPA screwup
@ 2014-04-22 15:56           ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2014-04-22 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2014-04-22 12:58 +0200, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> I'm no Git expert and would like to avoid trouble in the future.
> Could you please summarize what happened, including the commands
> issued?

I have easy-kill as a remote on the elpa repo and this morning I ran
'git pull -s subtree easy-kill master' and pushed. The same command that
worked previously somehow managed to merge changes into the admin/
directory.

It seems the best option to correct this is to reset head to before the
merge and do the subtree merge right. The second best option (which is
what I did) seems to be git mv things to the right subdirectory and
restore deleted files if any.

Leo