From: Thomas Baumann <dtbaumann@yahoo.de>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: 23.0.60 bootstrap fails for maemo
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:57:19 +0100	[thread overview]

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> Thomas Baumann <dtbaumann@yahoo.de> writes:
>
>   > > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
>   > >
>   > >> Thomas Baumann <dtbaumann@yahoo.de> writes:
>   > >>
>   > >>   > I'm trying to compile emacs23 for os2008 using the maemo-4.0 sdk but
>   > >>   > somehow the bootstrap fails. I'm working with a fresh copy of the cvs
>   > >>   > files checked out today.
>   > >>   >
>   > >>   > The problem looks very much like the emacs23/cygwin problem discussed
>   > >>   > earlier, but I was not able to test all of the possible solutions
>   > >>   > mentioned there.
>   > >>   >
>   > >>   > Any help is highly appreciated.
>   > >>
>   > >> Not sure if this helps, but first try to bootstrap on the host so that
>   > >> you have all the .elc files, and then configure for the target again and
>   > >> just run make. (If the problem you are facing is the byte compiler
>   > >> encoding bug that's been discussed here, you might be able to get over
>   > >> it this way)...
>   > >>
>   > >
>   > > I think I tried this before - configure with CHINOOK_X86 and compile
>   > > (works ok). configure with CHINOOK_ARMEL... and a new error...
>   > >
>   > > if i delete and recompile pre-crt0.o for the target I get the same error
>   > > as before
>   > >
>   >
>   > After days of testing and trying to debug the bootstrap I finally
>   > compiled the byte-compile parts of bootstrap directly on the N810: and
>   > it works :-) Strange and not a permanent solution, though.
>   >
> [snip]
>   > 3. compilation is possible on the target itself: the build directory has
>   >    to be mounted with nfs and make has to be installed on the
>   >    device. Compile emacs until the first error occurs, continue on the
>   >    target and finally make install and build the package on the host.
>
> So it seems that building works on real hardware, but it fails when
> using the cross-compiler + simulator. That would point out to a problem
> in that setup, maybe a bug in the simulator.

I think the latter, as the setup was installed from scratch. Debugging,
however, is beyond my current debbuging skills. All I can offer is to
test possible solutions.

Another observation: Currently only emacs23 (bootstrap and make) and clisp
compilation fail. Other programs (emacs22, ocaml, R, unison, ...) are
fine.