* php-mode
@ 2011-07-30  4:29 Ren
From: Ren @ 2011-07-30  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to mention I have made a few updates to the php-mode.el
floating around there to make it work slightly better with PHP 5.4.
The code can be found here:

    https://github.com/ejmr/php-mode

Hope you find it useful.

--
ejmr
南無妙法蓮華經

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-07-30  7:04 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-07-30  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2011-07-30 06:29, Ren wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Just wanted to mention I have made a few updates to the php-mode.el
> floating around there to make it work slightly better with PHP 5.4.
> The code can be found here:
>
>      https://github.com/ejmr/php-mode
>
> Hope you find it useful.

Thanks, I do find it useful! :)

Deniz

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-02 16:22 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-08-02 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Just wanted to mention I have made a few updates to the php-mode.el
> floating around there to make it work slightly better with PHP 5.4.
> The code can be found here:

>     https://github.com/ejmr/php-mode

> Hope you find it useful.

If we can track down all contributors to php-mode, it would be good to
get their copyright assignment and then install it on GNU ELPA.

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-02 16:26   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-08-02 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Ren, emacs-devel

> If we can track down all contributors to php-mode, it would be good to
> get their copyright assignment and then install it on GNU ELPA.

PHP is a major language, so I think it should be included in the Emacs
distribution, ideally.

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-02 16:53     ` Ren
From: Ren @ 2011-08-02 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 18:26 +0200, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> > If we can track down all contributors to php-mode, it would be
> > good to get their copyright assignment and then install it on GNU
> > ELPA.
>
> PHP is a major language, so I think it should be included in the
> Emacs distribution, ideally.

I completely agree with both of you.  I’ll happy assignment the
copyright for my own contributions.  I can also try to track down and
ping some of the other contributors, but what exactly would I need to
get from them?  (I.e. is there a particular place online I should
point them to?)

--
ejmr
南無妙法蓮華經

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-02 17:27     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-08-02 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Ren, emacs-devel

>> If we can track down all contributors to php-mode, it would be good to
>> get their copyright assignment and then install it on GNU ELPA.
> PHP is a major language, so I think it should be included in the Emacs
> distribution, ideally.

Maybe that can also be done afterwards.  We'll cross this bridge when we
get there.  But for now the GNU ELPA is open for new features whereas
the trunk isn't.

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-02 17:40       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-08-02 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Ren, emacs-devel

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 19:27, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>> If we can track down all contributors to php-mode, it would be good to
>>> get their copyright assignment and then install it on GNU ELPA.
>> PHP is a major language, so I think it should be included in the Emacs
>> distribution, ideally.
>
> Maybe that can also be done afterwards.  We'll cross this bridge when we
> get there.  But for now the GNU ELPA is open for new features whereas
> the trunk isn't.

After following this for quite some time I wonder if it is not much
less work to just rewrite php-mode.el from scratch than to try to get
copyright assignment from all authors? (Those parts that are made by
authors who have signed papers can be copied. Some parts are trivial
and can therefor be copied. Etc.)

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-02 17:42         ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-08-02 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2011-08-02 19:40, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>> PHP is a major language, so I think it should be included in the Emacs
>>> distribution, ideally.
>>
>> Maybe that can also be done afterwards.  We'll cross this bridge when we
>> get there.  But for now the GNU ELPA is open for new features whereas
>> the trunk isn't.
>
> After following this for quite some time I wonder if it is not much
> less work to just rewrite php-mode.el from scratch than to try to get
> copyright assignment from all authors? (Those parts that are made by
> authors who have signed papers can be copied. Some parts are trivial
> and can therefor be copied. Etc.)

Aren't you the author of mumamo?  If you are, you're probably the best
to determine whether it's easier to rewrite it or not.

Deniz

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-02 17:46           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-08-02 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 19:42, Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> wrote:
> On 2011-08-02 19:40, Lennart Borgman wrote:

>>> Maybe that can also be done afterwards.  We'll cross this bridge when we
>>> get there.  But for now the GNU ELPA is open for new features whereas
>>> the trunk isn't.
>>
>> After following this for quite some time I wonder if it is not much
>> less work to just rewrite php-mode.el from scratch than to try to get
>> copyright assignment from all authors? (Those parts that are made by
>> authors who have signed papers can be copied. Some parts are trivial
>> and can therefor be copied. Etc.)
>>

> Aren't you the author of mumamo?  If you are, you're probably the best to
> determine whether it's easier to rewrite it or not.

Yes, I am the author of mumamo, but other people knows php-mode.el
much better than me.

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-03  3:35         ` Ren
From: Ren @ 2011-08-03  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 19:40 +0200, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> After following this for quite some time I wonder if it is not much
> less work to just rewrite php-mode.el from scratch than to try to
> get copyright assignment from all authors? (Those parts that are
> made by authors who have signed papers can be copied. Some parts are
> trivial and can therefor be copied. Etc.)

I have considered this as well.  The idea of trying to get the
necessary copyright assignments from people seems very difficult when
all you have to go on is a name like ‘Ryan’.

I want there to be a version of php-mode.el that can go into the GNU
ELPA, because when I introduce my programming friends to Emacs a major
mode for PHP is often one of the first things they want.  The way
things are now, they go to a site like the Emacs Wiki and see a
variety of modes and are not sure which to pick.

More and more I am beginning to think Lennart may be right in saying
that it would be less work to rewrite php-mode.el from scratch.  If
the community at large agrees, then I will personally volunteer to
write and maintain the code.  Does anyone else think this is a better
route to pursue?

--
ejmr
南無妙法蓮華經

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-03  4:16   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-08-03  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: lobbyjones, emacs-devel

    If we can track down all contributors to php-mode, it would be good to
    get their copyright assignment and then install it on GNU ELPA.

We ought to include a mode for PHP in the Emacs distribution -- it is
a widely used language.  If we can't get papers for this one, I hope
someone else will write one.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-05 17:50           ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-08-05 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Lennart Borgman, Stefan Monnier,
	emacs-devel

Ren <lobbyjones@gmail.com> writes:

> More and more I am beginning to think Lennart may be right in saying
> that it would be less work to rewrite php-mode.el from scratch.  If
> the community at large agrees, then I will personally volunteer to
> write and maintain the code.  Does anyone else think this is a better
> route to pursue?

Yes, if anyone is willing to step up to the plate and write an
independent php-mode that we can include in Emacs, that is probably the
best solution.

* Re: php-mode
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-08-05 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Ren, Lennart Borgman, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

>> More and more I am beginning to think Lennart may be right in saying
>> that it would be less work to rewrite php-mode.el from scratch.  If
>> the community at large agrees, then I will personally volunteer to
>> write and maintain the code.  Does anyone else think this is a better
>> route to pursue?
> Yes, if anyone is willing to step up to the plate and write an
> independent php-mode that we can include in Emacs, that is probably the
> best solution.

If possible, I'd rather integrate the existing code, to avoid the mess
of having umpteen alternatives.
So I'd recommend the following path:
- figure out who wrote which part of the code.
- from that, find out which part of the code is already covered by
  copyright assignments or is otherwise "trivial enough" to not need any.
- try to get assignments from the remaining people.
- if some of those can't be found or refuse to sign such paperwork,
  remove the corresponding code.  When easy or important, rewrite the code.

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-06  3:24               ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-08-06  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Lennart Borgman, Ren, emacs-devel

> If possible, I'd rather integrate the existing code, to avoid the mess
> of having umpteen alternatives.

If there is a PHP mode included in Emacs, that will be the one PHP mode
that people use.

So just (re-)writing the mode sounds like an easier solution to me.

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-06  4:38                 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-08-06  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Lennart Borgman, Ren, emacs-devel

>> If possible, I'd rather integrate the existing code, to avoid the mess
>> of having umpteen alternatives.
> If there is a PHP mode included in Emacs, that will be the one PHP mode
> that people use.

History seems to indicate that it's not necessarily the case.

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-07  5:06                   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-08-07  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ranko Radonić, Mark A. Hershberger, emacs-devel
  Cc: Chong Yidong, Lars Ingebrigtsen, Stefan Monnier, Ren

It looks like many people are interested in php-mode.el. Some people
have contacted me before regarding php-mode.el. One of them is Mark
Hershberger (in the recievers of this message). I have shamefully
forgotten about that and not followed up. Sorry Mark.

Another one who have contacted me is Ranko (in the recievers of this message).

We have also had a long discussion off list about php-mode.el with
some people (including Chong, Stefan, Aaron and others. And I see now
that also Mark H was involved a bit there). I have made a pdf copy of
that discussion and will upload it somewhere (but I do not know where
yet).

* Re: php-mode
@ 2011-08-07  7:17                   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-08-07  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> If possible, I'd rather integrate the existing code, to avoid the mess
>>> of having umpteen alternatives.
>> If there is a PHP mode included in Emacs, that will be the one PHP mode
>> that people use.
>
> History seems to indicate that it's not necessarily the case.
>
>         Stefan

It is most definitely not the case. php mode, like javascript mode, is a
mass of confusion and conflicting/competing modes out there all branched
and at various levels and maintained by numerous authors. One glance at
the wiki pages tells you all you need to know about the state of
multi-mode/"web tech" mode programming in emacs : its far from
straightforward and the "shipped" modes seem to generally be shunned as
opposed to adopted.