* eww/url: www connections  left "open"
@ 2017-12-20  4:09 raman
From: raman @ 2017-12-20  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This is in emacs from Git@Head -- though the issue has been around for
a long time.

If you use EWW to open a Web site -- say
http://www.cnn.com  ---  then do M-x list-processes --- you see  that
there is a "open" connection to www.cnn.com hanging around (likely
because of http keep-alive?) -- not sure.

There is no such connection hanging around if you open www.gnu.org.

Most of the time, this is harmless and the connections go away ---
except when they dont, and if more than a few of these hang around,
then opening other URLs with EWW produces nothing. Killing those
hanging connections with delete-process immediately gets EWW working
again --- e.g. killing those connections with  the following loop:

(cl-loop
 for p in (process-list)
 when (string-match "www" (process-name p))
 do (delete-process p))

* Re: eww/url: www connections  left "open"
@ 2017-12-20  4:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-12-20  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, raman

On December 20, 2017 6:09:24 AM GMT+02:00, raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
> This is in emacs from Git@Head -- though the issue has been around for
> a long time.
>
> If you use EWW to open a Web site -- say
> http://www.cnn.com  ---  then do M-x list-processes --- you see  that
> there is a "open" connection to www.cnn.com hanging around (likely
> because of http keep-alive?) -- not sure.
>
> There is no such connection hanging around if you open www.gnu.org.
>
> Most of the time, this is harmless and the connections go away ---
> except when they dont, and if more than a few of these hang around,
> then opening other URLs with EWW produces nothing. Killing those
> hanging connections with delete-process immediately gets EWW working
> again --- e.g. killing those connections with  the following loop:
>
> (cl-loop
>  for p in (process-list)
>  when (string-match "www" (process-name p))
>  do (delete-process p))

I see such connections in the process list for gnu.org as well.
Moreover, if I open cnn.com in a browser, netstat shows me connections waiting to various addresses in cnn.com domain, exactly like I see in Emacs.
On what OS do you get "nothing" after some such open connections?

* Re: eww/url: www connections  left "open"
@ 2017-12-20  4:57 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2017-12-20  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

raman <raman@google.com> writes:

> This is in emacs from Git@Head -- though the issue has been around for
> a long time.
>
> If you use EWW to open a Web site -- say
> http://www.cnn.com  ---  then do M-x list-processes --- you see  that
> there is a "open" connection to www.cnn.com hanging around (likely
> because of http keep-alive?) -- not sure.
>
> There is no such connection hanging around if you open www.gnu.org.
>
> Most of the time, this is harmless and the connections go away ---
> except when they dont, and if more than a few of these hang around,
> then opening other URLs with EWW produces nothing. Killing those
> hanging connections with delete-process immediately gets EWW working
> again --- e.g. killing those connections with  the following loop:
>
> (cl-loop
>  for p in (process-list)
>  when (string-match "www" (process-name p))
>  do (delete-process p))

I confirm the problem. Your method for killing those processes is not
effective because it depends on the presence of "www". Right now I have
4 open processes related to web sites, none of them contains the "www"
string.

BTW, it is preferable to report this problems with M-x report-emacs-bug.

* Re: eww/url: www connections  left "open"
@ 2017-12-20  5:08   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2017-12-20  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I see such connections in the process list for gnu.org as well.
> Moreover, if I open cnn.com in a browser, netstat shows me connections
> waiting to various addresses in cnn.com domain, exactly like I see in
> Emacs. On what OS do you get "nothing" after some such open
> connections?

It is expected that you get nothing after you close the browser's tab
that is visiting the page, or shortly thereafter. The processes listed
on my Emacs session correspond to pages I visited days ago. Right now I
have no eww buffer lying around. Hence those processes are the result of
a leak.

* Re: eww/url: www connections  left "open"
@ 2017-12-20  7:26 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2017-12-20  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Dez 19 2017, raman <raman@google.com> wrote:

> If you use EWW to open a Web site -- say
> http://www.cnn.com  ---  then do M-x list-processes --- you see  that
> there is a "open" connection to www.cnn.com hanging around (likely
> because of http keep-alive?) -- not sure.

Does it change if you set url-http-attempt-keepalives to nil?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: eww/url: www connections  left "open"
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-12-20  7:29 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-12-20  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

raman <raman@google.com> writes:

> Most of the time, this is harmless and the connections go away ---
> except when they dont, and if more than a few of these hang around,
> then opening other URLs with EWW produces nothing. Killing those
> hanging connections with delete-process immediately gets EWW working
> again --- e.g. killing those connections with  the following loop:
>
> (cl-loop
>  for p in (process-list)
>  when (string-match "www" (process-name p))
>  do (delete-process p))

The list of connections is in the `url-http-open-connections' hash
table, so you can just loop over that to kill the connections.

And, yes, it's annoying that url-http.el doesn't deal with hanging
connections very well.

* Re: eww/url: www connections  left "open"
@ 2017-12-20 16:13   ` raman
From: raman @ 2017-12-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

I'm seeing the problem on Ubuntu Trusty. As I said -- the  waiting connections dont always affect EWW --- appears to bite when there are a lot of them around.> On December 20, 2017 6:09:24 AM GMT+02:00, raman <raman@google.com> wrote:

@ 2017-12-20 16:14   ` raman
From: raman @ 2017-12-20 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel