Heres a new version of the patch. New stuff: - The interface is now an alist tied to the window. I think Stefan prefered this. acessors: set-window-parameter window-parameter - set "pin" to t, and the window will not go away on delete-other-winows - set "group" to something, and all windows with the same value will be considered in the same window group, which affects other-window for instance. - I also have some hackish elisp code to show how the interface works. This is all only lightly tested, but looks IMHO promising. Issues: - I didn't adress Klaus concern with switch-to-buffer yet, I'm not sure how to proceed there. - I broke an optimization, marked as FIXME in windows.c. It doesnt look especially important so I wont not spend time on it until everything works properly.