I made one more change to the file-name-prefixing of diary entries using a defcustom to define a "transformation function." I now have in my .emacs: (setq diary-file-name-prefix-function (function (lambda (str) (replace-in-string str (substitute-in-file-name "$HOME/.diary\.?") ""))) (setq diary-file-name-prefix t) and with the patch below, this yields no prefix for entries from ~/.diary, and a "[birthdays] " prefix for entries from my ~/.diary.birthdays file. The default for diary-file-name-prefix is still nil, since if a person doesn't know enough to define diary-file-name-prefix-function, s/he probably doesn't want the prefixes in the first place. Cheers, -- Ami Fischman usenet@fischman.org