* utf-translate-cjk-mode & CJK unicode questions
@ 2003-07-28  5:42 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-07-28  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

CJK utf-8 seems to now work great in emacs if utf-translate-cjk-mode is
turned on, but it's turned off by default.

I understand why it's turned off by default, but perhaps it ought to be
turned on if one enters emacs with something like:

   LANG=ja_JP.utf-8 emacs -q

If I do that, BTW, I'd expect to get a Japanese language environment,
with some sort of `prefer unicode' setting, but instead I get the
`UTF-8' languange environment, which doesn't seem as useful.  Is that
intended?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products

* Re: utf-translate-cjk-mode & CJK unicode questions
@ 2003-08-09  0:11 ` Jens Petersen
From: Jens Petersen @ 2003-08-09  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

    MB> If I do that, BTW, I'd expect to get a Japanese
    MB> language environment, with some sort of `prefer
    MB> unicode' setting, but instead I get the `UTF-8'
    MB> languange environment, which doesn't seem as useful.

Right, also the default UTF-8 input method of "rfc1345" does
not seem like the right thing either.  ("rfc1345.el" wasn't
even included in leim-21.3 afaict btw.)  I think for
ja_JP.UTF-8 the default input method should be "Japanese",
and so on, just like for the native encodings language
support.

Jens