* Compilation warnings in cc-mode.el
@ 2011-07-20  5:10 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-07-20  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-cc-mode; +Cc: emacs-devel

I see a few of these when compiling today's bzr:

  cc-mode.el:158:1:Warning: (lambda nil ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'

* Re: Compilation warnings in cc-mode.el
@ 2011-07-20 12:09 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-07-20 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 07:10, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> I see a few of these when compiling today's bzr:
>
>  cc-mode.el:158:1:Warning: (lambda nil ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'

They have been there for a while now. The oldest bootstrap log I have
is from 2011-06-19 and they already appear, and I'm pretty sure
they're older than that.

    Juanma

10 Tips for Better Web Security
Learn 10 ways to better secure your business today. Topics covered include:
Web security, SSL, hacker attacks & Denial of Service (DoS), private keys,
security Microsoft Exchange, secure Instant Messaging, and much more.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51426210/

* Re: Compilation warnings in cc-mode.el
@ 2011-07-20 12:14 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-20 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I see a few of these when compiling today's bzr:
>
>   cc-mode.el:158:1:Warning: (lambda nil ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'

So it's this bit, I guess?

    ;; Being evaluated from source.  Always use the dynamic method to
    ;; work well when `c-lang-defvar's in this file are reevaluated
    ;; interactively.
    `(lambda ()
       (require 'cc-langs)
       (let ((c-buffer-is-cc-mode ',mode)
	     (init (append (cdr c-emacs-variable-inits)
			   (cdr c-lang-variable-inits)))
	     current-var)

* Re: Compilation warnings in cc-mode.el
@ 2011-07-22 16:04 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2011-07-22 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 01:10:56AM -0400, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I see a few of these when compiling today's bzr:

>   cc-mode.el:158:1:Warning: (lambda nil ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'

I've had a quite long look at the source code, but can't figure it out.
I've fixed another bug in that area, though, so thanks for drawing my
attention to it.  :-)

I'm not altogether sure what that warning means.  Mostly, a (lamda ...)
isn't quoted at all, surely?  Presumably there's been a change to the
byte compiler to cause these warnings.  But there're 9 of them.  I would
have expected 7 or 14 (one or two for each CC Mode).

I'll carry on looking at this for a wee while.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Compilation warnings in cc-mode.el
@ 2011-08-02  3:11   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-08-02  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>> cc-mode.el:158:1:Warning: (lambda nil ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'

> I've had a quite long look at the source code, but can't figure it out.
> I've fixed another bug in that area, though, so thanks for drawing my
> attention to it.  :-)

Most likely it's a ',foo in some macro where `foo' is an argument that ends
up being a (lambda ...) in some cases.

> I'm not altogether sure what that warning means.  Mostly, a (lamda ...)
> isn't quoted at all, surely?  Presumably there's been a change to the
> byte compiler to cause these warnings.

Yes, the change is to output a warning when we detect such a case
(i.e. when (quote (lambda ..)) is passed to funcall, apply, and a few
more special-cased functions).  We used to silently change those to
#'(lambda ..), but now we additionally output a warning since the
meaning of the two is subtly different in the presence of lexical-binding.