* how to promote the new font backend?
@ 2008-09-06 17:14 joakim
From: joakim @ 2008-09-06 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development

Recently I reinstalled my primary workstation with fc9. I noticed lots
of weird font issues with emacs.

In the end it occured to me that I hadnt moved this line to my new
.Xdefaults file:

Emacs.font:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:size=14

This means, I suppose, that new emacs users will encounter the same
issues. How do we provide nice font defaults for new users?

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: how to promote the new font backend?
@ 2008-09-06 17:26 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-09-06 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Emacs Development

joakim@verona.se wrote:
> Recently I reinstalled my primary workstation with fc9. I noticed lots
> of weird font issues with emacs.

What kinds of issues? They might indicate a bug.

> How do we provide nice font defaults for new users?

The default font if XFT is configured is monospace-12. Most fontconfig
installations will map this to a modern font capable of using
antialiasing. Does your installation fail to map it, or map it to a
bitmap font?

* Re: how to promote the new font backend?
@ 2008-09-06 18:29   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2008-09-06 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Emacs Development

Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:

> joakim@verona.se wrote:
>> Recently I reinstalled my primary workstation with fc9. I noticed lots
>> of weird font issues with emacs.
>>

> What kinds of issues? They might indicate a bug.

- I wasnt able to increase the fontsize beyond a certain limit using
  incdec-buffer-face-height.

- reading mail in gnus, certain characters became octal escapes rather
  than the swedish characters I'm used to seeing.

--

@ 2008-09-07  5:45     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-09-07  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Emacs Development, Jason Rumney

joakim@verona.se writes:
>> What kinds of issues? They might indicate a bug.
>
> - I wasnt able to increase the fontsize beyond a certain limit using
>   incdec-buffer-face-height.
>
> - reading mail in gnus, certain characters became octal escapes rather
>   than the swedish characters I'm used to seeing.

It certainly sounds like something's messed up (using the default
settings here, I can magnify the text until a single character occupies
the entire window)...

Does it still happen with emacs -Q?

When you position the cursor on one of the characters (both normal and
"magnified") and use `C-u C-x =', what font does it say it's using?

-Miles

--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train