* Bazaar migration strategy?
@ 2008-06-17  9:51 David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-06-17  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I am currently somewhat at a loss.  I think we more or less had
consensus that a distributed version control system for working with
Emacs might be nice.  Existing mirrors are git (readonly) and arch
(read/write with merges via Miles and more).

We had a decision that Emacs development should move to Bazaar with
regard to dVCS access/migration.

So what is the plan and is anybody working on anything?  It does not
look like anything but private repo imports exist, there is no official
mirror and certainly no official read/write access and Savannah does not
support Bazaar anyway at the moment.

It does not make sense to decide for a dVCS just nominally and then keep
doing business as before.  So what is actually the plan to make things
happen at one point of time?

Did I miss something?

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Bazaar migration strategy?
@ 2008-06-17 12:49 ` Lynbech Christian
From: Lynbech Christian @ 2008-06-17 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

David> It does not make sense to decide for a dVCS just nominally and then keep
David> doing business as before.  So what is actually the plan to make things
David> happen at one point of time?

Whatever is decided it should be such that the developers uses that
solution.

It would not be good to decide on some system the developers won't use
themselves. How could we then expect users to respect the choice?

If Bazaar is too bad/slow/buggy for serious development, the decision
should be revisited whatever the political implications.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

* Re: Bazaar migration strategy?
@ 2008-06-17 13:32   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-06-17 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lynbech Christian; +Cc: emacs-devel

Lynbech Christian <christian.lynbech@tietoenator.com> writes:

> David> It does not make sense to decide for a dVCS just nominally and then keep
> David> doing business as before.  So what is actually the plan to make things
> David> happen at one point of time?
>
> Whatever is decided it should be such that the developers uses that
> solution.
>
> It would not be good to decide on some system the developers won't use
> themselves. How could we then expect users to respect the choice?

As long as there is no repository to clone from, it is not possible to
use the system or respect the choice.

So the question is how we will be getting there.  At the moment I don't
see how I could even start experimenting with it and Emacs.

--

@ 2008-06-17 13:57     ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2008-06-17 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: Lynbech Christian, emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> As long as there is no repository to clone from, it is not possible to
> use the system or respect the choice.
>
> So the question is how we will be getting there.  At the moment I don't
> see how I could even start experimenting with it and Emacs.

I've been cloning from James Earls private repos, and at least been able
to keep track of some local patches. It works ok for my purposes. (This
is not meant to contradict your basic observation that not having an
official infrastructure in place is kind of frustrating)

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Bazaar migration strategy?
@ 2008-06-17 16:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: Jason Earl, emacs-devel

> So what is the plan and is anybody working on anything?  It does not
> look like anything but private repo imports exist, there is no official
> mirror and certainly no official read/write access and Savannah does not
> support Bazaar anyway at the moment.

Here's the state of affairs:
- We have Jason Earl's read-only mirror, kept up-to-date every hour or so.
- I use it all the time to maintain my local branch in sync with
  the trunk.
- The Emacs.app branch (hosted on savannah) uses it as well to stay in
  sync with the trunk.

Performance of day-to-day operations nowadays seems acceptable to me.
It's not fast, but it's not significantly worse than CVS.  From what
I hear checking out the whole tree (which you hopefully only ever need
to do once) is still pretty slow.  Also some remote commits (aka "push")
to the savannah branch can be slow.

So the main remaining problem is to have a *good* mirror from which to
start: Jason's mirror is functional, but lacks all the merge history as
well as the file-renames history.  The merge history is present in the
Git mirror and from what I heard, Jason is working on a new Bazaar
mirror based on the Git mirror to solve this problem.  As far as the
file-renames is concerned, I haven't heard of any plan to solve this
issue yet.

Jason, can you comment on the current status of your work?