Well, I still don't understand why this is advertised as such a difficult problem, particularly why package.el would need sign operation with Emacs. Am I missing something? Perhaps it might make sense to discuss with some code. Here it is. The code verifies a detached signature NAME-VERSION.tar.sig with a trusted keyring located under ~/.emacs.d/elpa/gnupg/. That's it. For uploading packages, we could simply use the same mechanism as gnupload in Gnulib. It's actually a 10-minute work at an airport lobby and tested only with the local package archive.