* 'fullscreen 'fullheight
@ 2006-05-01 21:42 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2006-05-01 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.24 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2006-05-01 on quant8

I use Emacs on various machines with different X screen parameters,
and I like Emacs frames to have maximum possible height.
I used to use this:

(defun sds-frame-normaize (&optional frame move)
  "the frame --> top right; almost full size"
  (interactive)
  (unless frame (setq frame (selected-frame)))
  (set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen nil)
  (set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
  (set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen nil)
  (when move
    (set-frame-position frame 0 0))
  (let ((height (- (frame-height) (eval-when-compile (if sds-winnt 1 4)))))
    (set-frame-height frame height)
    (set-frame-width frame 80)
    (set-frame-parameter frame 'top '(+ -5))
    height))

(I welcome suggestion on how to accomplish the same easier!)

recently I noticed the following unpleasant behavior:

$ emacs -q
(frame-height) C-j
==> 43
(set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight) C-j
==> nil
(frame-height) C-j
==> 43

now the X window has the correct size, but the emacs frame does not!
((frame-height) returns the old value)
also, set-frame-parameter takes several seconds to execute!

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) on Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
http://memri.org http://palestinefacts.org http://iris.org.il

* Re: 'fullscreen 'fullheight
@ 2006-05-02 16:25 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-05-02 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sam Steingold wrote:
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.24 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>  of 2006-05-01 on quant8
>
> I use Emacs on various machines with different X screen parameters,
> and I like Emacs frames to have maximum possible height.
> I used to use this:
>
> (defun sds-frame-normaize (&optional frame move)
>   "the frame --> top right; almost full size"
>   (interactive)
>   (unless frame (setq frame (selected-frame)))
>   (set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen nil)
>   (set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
>   (set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen nil)
>   (when move
>     (set-frame-position frame 0 0))
>   (let ((height (- (frame-height) (eval-when-compile (if sds-winnt 1 4)))))
>     (set-frame-height frame height)
>     (set-frame-width frame 80)
>     (set-frame-parameter frame 'top '(+ -5))
>     height))
>
> (I welcome suggestion on how to accomplish the same easier!)
>
> recently I noticed the following unpleasant behavior:
>
> $ emacs -q
> (frame-height) C-j
> ==> 43
> (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight) C-j
> ==> nil
> (frame-height) C-j
> ==> 43
>
> now the X window has the correct size, but the emacs frame does not!
> ((frame-height) returns the old value)
> also, set-frame-parameter takes several seconds to execute!

What is your intent in specifying fullscreen as nil, then fullheight,
then nil, and then specifying height explicitly anyway?

What should Emacs do when the frame parameters include both fullscreen
and height or width, which may conflict?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: 'fullscreen 'fullheight
@ 2006-05-03  8:02 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-05-03  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sam Steingold <sds@podval.org> writes:

> also, set-frame-parameter takes several seconds to execute!

Does this help?

(modify-frame-parameters nil '((wait-for-wm . nil)))