* more on smtpmail / gmail failure:
@ 2011-07-31 14:32 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2011-07-31 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 492 bytes --]

Attaching smtp trace. Note:Emacs is built without starttls
support on this machine -- perhaps that matters.

220 mx.google.com ESMTP b4sm4419441pba.75
250-mx.google.com at your service, [71.202.188.217]
250-SIZE 35882577
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

Process smtpmail deleted
MAIL FROM:<tv.raman.tv@gmail.com> SIZE=523
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. b4sm4419441pba.75
QUIT
221 2.0.0 closing connection b4sm4419441pba.75\r\x05ë-Eè\x1a­Û+jf§

* Re: more on smtpmail / gmail failure:
@ 2011-07-31 14:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-31 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tv.raman.tv; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T. V. Raman" <tv.raman.tv@gmail.com> writes:

> Attaching smtp trace. Note:Emacs is built without starttls
> support on this machine -- perhaps that matters.

Uhm...  why?

> 220 mx.google.com ESMTP b4sm4419441pba.75.
> 250-mx.google.com at your service, [71.202.188.217].
> 250-SIZE 35882577.
> 250-8BITMIME.
> 250-STARTTLS.
> 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES.
>
> Process smtpmail deleted
> MAIL FROM:<tv.raman.tv@gmail.com> SIZE=523.
> 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. b4sm4419441pba.75.
> QUIT.
> 221 2.0.0 closing connection b4sm4419441pba.75.--

If your Emacs doesn't have STARTTLS support, and you don't have external
TLS support available, either, you can't send email via an SMTP server
that requires you to use STARTTLS.

I don't think there's anything Emacs can do about that.  Other than tell
the user "install gnutls-cli already, then".

* Re: more on smtpmail / gmail failure:
@ 2011-07-31 14:41 ` Christoph Scholtes
From: Christoph Scholtes @ 2011-07-31 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 7/31/2011 8:32 AM, T. V. Raman wrote:
> Attaching smtp trace. Note:Emacs is built without starttls
> support on this machine -- perhaps that matters.

Are you running on Windows or GNU/Linux?

* more on smtpmail / gmail failure:
@ 2011-07-31 15:13 raman
From: raman @ 2011-07-31 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

Clarification, I do have external starttls support, and Iam able
to send email via the older smtpmail.el -- that's how Iam sending
these messages.

I am writing from an older ubuntu (jaunty)box where the starttls
library is older than what --with-starttls in emacs 24 needs.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

--
Best Regards,
--raman

* more on smtpmail / gmail failure:
@ 2011-07-31 15:14 raman
From: raman @ 2011-07-31 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Scholtes, emacs-devel

This is on gnu/Linux ubuntu Jaunty. I do have starttls configured
to use external starttls support, sorry my earlier message caused
confusion when I said Emacs was built with --without-starttls.

This is being sent with emacs 24, but with the older smtpmail.el
from somewhere in May/June.
--
Best Regards,
--raman

--
Best Regards,
--raman

* more on smtpmail / gmail failure:
@ 2011-07-31 15:15 raman
From: raman @ 2011-07-31 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

@ 2011-07-31 15:15 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-31 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

raman <tv.raman.tv@gmail.com> writes:

> Clarification, I do have external starttls support, and Iam able
> to send email via the older smtpmail.el -- that's how Iam sending
> these messages.

What does

(executable-find "gnutls-cli")

return for you?

* more on smtpmail / gmail failure:
@ 2011-07-31 19:43   ` T.V. Raman
From: T.V. Raman @ 2011-07-31 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

Aha That returns nil (executable-find "gnutls-cli")
 but I  have starttls installed -- which is what I've been using
 for smtpmail -- as well as other things like Jabber that need
 tls support.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

@ 2011-07-31 19:44 raman
From: raman @ 2011-07-31 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

@ 2011-07-31 19:56 raman
From: raman @ 2011-07-31 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-devel

I also have openssl installed on the Jaunty box. I'll probably
upgrade this machine in the next few weeks, since it's now
impossible to install any packages on Jaunty -- but it would
still be nice if smtpmail worked like the tls.el library, which
uses either gnutls-cli or openssl depending on what is
available. At the time, I  had intentionally removed gnutls-bin
package because gnuuutls-cli was breaking emacs/W3, --- that is a
problem that very few emacs users would care about --- but
unfortunately I happen to be one of those who  still depends on
Emacs/W3

--Raman

--
Best Regards,
--raman

* Re: more on smtpmail / gmail failure:
@ 2011-08-02 13:32 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-08-02 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

raman <tv.raman.tv@gmail.com> writes:

> I also have openssl installed on the Jaunty box. I'll probably
> upgrade this machine in the next few weeks, since it's now
> impossible to install any packages on Jaunty -- but it would
> still be nice if smtpmail worked like the tls.el library, which
> uses either gnutls-cli or openssl depending on what is
> available. At the time, I  had intentionally removed gnutls-bin
> package because gnuuutls-cli was breaking emacs/W3, --- that is a
> problem that very few emacs users would care about --- but
> unfortunately I happen to be one of those who  still depends on
> Emacs/W3

So...  what are your starttls settings?

* Re: more on smtpmail / gmail failure:
       [not found]             ` <87vcu9jjv5.fsf@gnus.org>
@ 2011-08-07 19:58               ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2011-08-07 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: larsi; +Cc: emacs-devel

That's fine. But for the record, smtpmail.el on savannah git is
broken -- hope this saves other emacs users some time.

And emacs maintainers, Ihope this mess gets fixed before release.