Instead of showing that, all I see is: UTF-8 encoded:
Kenichi> What is shown when you move point on the first cahracter of Kenichi> that sequence (U+ 04E8) and type C-u C-x =? When I move the point to that character, I see the Ө in white-on-purple (my cursor is purple) followed by the combining macron in white-on-purple with all of the rest of that line in purple. When I switch focus to another window the open purple box covers the a bit of space, the
, the ^M and extends to the right margin. C-u C-x = says: character: Ө (1256, #o2350, #x4e8) preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646)) code point: 0x04E8 syntax: w which means: word category: y:Cyrillic buffer code: #xD3 #xA8 file code: #xD3 #xA8 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix) display: composed to form "Ө̄" (see below) Composed with the following character(s) "̄" using this font: xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 by these glyphs: [0 1 1256 978 8 0 8 11 1 nil] [0 1 772 647 -9 2 6 10 -9 [0 0 -9]] Character code properties: customize what to show name: CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BARRED O general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase) There are text properties here: fontified t In that output above (including in this buffer), I see: display: composed to form "" (see below) Kenichi> I don't understand how this looks like: "the rest of that Kenichi> line is displayed a la the cursor". Please send me the Kenichi> image?