In calc-2.02f, many initial settings are stored in the list `calc-mode-var-list', apparently so that functions which want to access all the settings (to reset them or to store them) can easily access them. (The list is used by the functions `calc-reset' in "calc-ext.el", by `calc-embedded-set-modes' in "calc-embed.el", and by 'calc-save-modes' and `calc-setting-file-name' in "calc-mode.el".) After the list 'calc-mode-var-list' is defined, the unbound variables are bound with a mapcar. In calc-2.02g, the initial settings are defined individually, with defvar, so `calc-mode-var-list' isn't used. The only advantage this seems to have is to add docstrings to the variables, but the functions which want to access all the variables conveniently through `calc-mode-var-list' can't us it anymore. So all the functions I mentioned above are broken. I sent the following patches to Lukasz Stafiniak, the Calc maintainer. He doesn't have emacs cvs access, so he suggested I send them to the emacs-devel list. It restores a version of 'calc-mode-var-list' which has adds docstrings. This version will affect `calc-embedded-set-modes' in calc-embed.el, so there is also a patch for that which will restore the previous behavior. So, here they are. Jay