* Cleaning up NEWS, ONEWS, ... files
@ 2006-05-30 10:37 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-05-30 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is currently NO logic in what goes into NEWS, ONEWS, ONEWS.1, etc.

I suggest (and will do the work if accepted) that we reorganize
the NEWS files so that

NEWS is about the current release, i.e. 22.x

NEWS.21 is about emacs 21.x  (split from current NEWS)

NEWS.20 is about emacs 20.x  (split from current NEWS)

NEWS.19 is about emacs 19.x  (from ONEWS)

NEWS.18 is about emacs 18.x  (from ONEWS.4 and ONEWS.3)

NEWS.17-1 is about emacs 17 and older (from ONEWS.2 and ONEWS.1)

This allows us to write clear and consistent information in NEWS about
where to find information about older releases.

Of course, I'll update view-emacs-news to still DTRT when
given a prefix arg.  (C-u C-h C-n).

BTW, if already visiting a NEWS file, using C-h C-n could
automatically take you to an older or newer NEWS file, depending
on whether you are in the top or bottom half of the NEWS file.

Then, each NEWS file could say

At the top of the file:
      Use C-h C-n to view newer NEWS

At the bottom of the file:
      Use C-h C-n to view older NEWS

instead of explicitly mention which file to visit...

That would be a fairly trivial, and self-contained change!

* Re: Cleaning up NEWS, ONEWS, ... files
@ 2006-05-31  0:40 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-05-31  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I suggest (and will do the work if accepted) that we reorganize
    the NEWS files so that

    NEWS is about the current release, i.e. 22.x

    NEWS.21 is about emacs 21.x  (split from current NEWS)

    NEWS.20 is about emacs 20.x  (split from current NEWS)

Ok, please do.

    BTW, if already visiting a NEWS file, using C-h C-n could
    automatically take you to an older or newer NEWS file, depending
    on whether you are in the top or bottom half of the NEWS file.

I don't like that feature; please don't.

* Re: Cleaning up NEWS, ONEWS, ... files
@ 2006-05-31 13:57   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-05-31 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     I suggest (and will do the work if accepted) that we reorganize
>     the NEWS files so that
>
>     NEWS is about the current release, i.e. 22.x
>
>     NEWS.21 is about emacs 21.x  (split from current NEWS)
>
>     NEWS.20 is about emacs 20.x  (split from current NEWS)
>
> Ok, please do.

Good!  I'll do it within one week.

A few questions:

1) Currently, we have a Copyright notice both at the top and bottom
   of each NEWS file.  Isn't the notice at the end sufficient,
   as we already says this at the top:

      See the end for copying conditions.

   or we could make it clearer by writing:

      See the end for copyright and copying conditions.

2) Years in those "top" and "bottom" copyright notices are
   out of sync in at least some of those files.  I suppose that
   I shall at least merge the two lists to get one consistent list
   when they are out of sync.

3) Shall I add 2006 to all of the NEWS.* files, even if we didn't
   change them (except for chaning the name)?

>     BTW, if already visiting a NEWS file, using C-h C-n could
>     automatically take you to an older or newer NEWS file, depending
>     on whether you are in the top or bottom half of the NEWS file.
>
> I don't like that feature; please don't.

Ok.

* Re: Cleaning up NEWS, ONEWS, ... files
@ 2006-06-01 19:35     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-01 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    1) Currently, we have a Copyright notice both at the top and bottom
       of each NEWS file.  Isn't the notice at the end sufficient,

Please keep them both.  It costs very little.

    2) Years in those "top" and "bottom" copyright notices are
       out of sync in at least some of those files.

Please do make them agree.

    3) Shall I add 2006 to all of the NEWS.* files, even if we didn't
       change them (except for chaning the name)?

It probably does not matter.

* Re: Cleaning up NEWS, ONEWS, ... files
@ 2006-06-04  1:18   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-06-04  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     I suggest (and will do the work if accepted) that we reorganize
>     the NEWS files so that
>
>     NEWS is about the current release, i.e. 22.x
>
>     NEWS.21 is about emacs 21.x  (split from current NEWS)
>
>     NEWS.20 is about emacs 20.x  (split from current NEWS)
>
> Ok, please do.

Done.

For "arch" mirrors: I retained the arch tags on ONEWS.* files in the
corrsponding NEWS.* as far as possible, but some of the new NEWS.*
files don't have an arch tag.