* emacs gtk2 toolbar bug?
@ 2006-08-20 17:31 Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-08-20 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

[Emacs: GNU Emacs 23.0.0.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.18) of
2006-06-08]

In gtk2 emacs, when tool-bar-mode goes from on to off or vice versa,
the bottom edge of the frame will move up/down the height of the
toolbar. This will make the minibuffer have different heights when
the frame is maximized.

While in lucid emacs, the frame will remain the same size. This is
much less visually disturbing.

I bind "C-=" to toggle tool-bar-mode

(global-set-key (kbd "C-=") 'tool-bar-mode)

--
Leon

* Re: emacs gtk2 toolbar bug?
@ 2006-08-21  4:16 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-08-21  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> In gtk2 emacs, when tool-bar-mode goes from on to off or vice versa,
> the bottom edge of the frame will move up/down the height of the
> toolbar.  This will make the minibuffer have different heights when
> the frame is maximized.

I don't understand what you mean.  When the Emacs frame is not
minimized, toggling the tool-bar moves the bottom edge of the frame,
it's true; but when the frame is maximized, toggling does not move the
bottom edge.

I do not see a drastically different minibuffer height with the
tool-bar either on or off, at least on the version of Gnome shipped
with Ubuntu Dapper.

* Re: emacs gtk2 toolbar bug?
@ 2006-08-21  6:27   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-08-21  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Leon, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong skrev:
> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In gtk2 emacs, when tool-bar-mode goes from on to off or vice versa,
>> the bottom edge of the frame will move up/down the height of the
>> toolbar.  This will make the minibuffer have different heights when
>> the frame is maximized.
>
> I don't understand what you mean.  When the Emacs frame is not
> minimized, toggling the tool-bar moves the bottom edge of the frame,
> it's true; but when the frame is maximized, toggling does not move the
> bottom edge.

If it does, that is a bug.  It might depend on the window manager though, what
WM are you running, Leon?

> I do not see a drastically different minibuffer height with the
> tool-bar either on or off, at least on the version of Gnome shipped
> with Ubuntu Dapper.

I don't see it with a recent uptodate CVS HEAD either.  Not so good visually,
but the window resizes itself so that the minibuffer is the same height.

	Jan D.

* Re: emacs gtk2 toolbar bug?
@ 2006-08-21  8:53   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-08-21  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 00:16:28 -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In gtk2 emacs, when tool-bar-mode goes from on to off or vice versa,
>> the bottom edge of the frame will move up/down the height of the
>> toolbar.  This will make the minibuffer have different heights when
>> the frame is maximized.
>
> I don't understand what you mean.  When the Emacs frame is not
> minimized, toggling the tool-bar moves the bottom edge of the frame,
> it's true; but when the frame is maximized, toggling does not move the
> bottom edge.

When it's maximized, toggling the tool-bar will make the minibuffer
have different heights. It's like the mode line has been pulled up and
down. This is tested in gnome 2.14. In motif window manager, even when
emacs is maximized, toggling tool-bar will move the bottom frame edge.

However with lucid emacs, the frame size remain unchanged and so does
the minibuffer, in both cases. I happen to have two versions of emacs
in my machine:

  - GNU Emacs 22.0.51.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
    bars, multi-tty) of 2006-08-14
  - GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.1) of
    2006-08-11

> I do not see a drastically different minibuffer height with the
> tool-bar either on or off, at least on the version of Gnome shipped
> with Ubuntu Dapper.

I'm also using the same version of gnome but with fedora core
5. Fedora's policy is pushing all its patches to upstream so they can
maintain the minimal set of patches i.e it's unlikely my gnome behaves
differently.

--
Leon

* Re: emacs gtk2 toolbar bug?
@ 2006-08-21  8:57     ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-08-21  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:27:40 +0200, Jan Djärv wrote:

> Chong Yidong skrev:
>> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> In gtk2 emacs, when tool-bar-mode goes from on to off or vice versa,
>>> the bottom edge of the frame will move up/down the height of the
>>> toolbar.  This will make the minibuffer have different heights when
>>> the frame is maximized.
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean.  When the Emacs frame is not
>> minimized, toggling the tool-bar moves the bottom edge of the frame,
>> it's true; but when the frame is maximized, toggling does not move the
>> bottom edge.
>
> If it does, that is a bug.  It might depend on the window manager
> though, what WM are you running, Leon?

It does have something to do with wm. I was using gnome 2.14. I just
tested it with motif window manager, the bottom edge will move even
when emacs is maximized.

--
Leon