* Face to face
@ 2017-09-07 22:30 John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-09-07 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This evening I had the most enjoyable privilege of being able to spend time
with Stefan Monnier at a tavern in Oxford, UK. It made us both realize how
valuable it is to interact with people in person; it changes how we read what
they write online, and what we think they're thinking when they write it.

During our many conversations, we thought: what if we had an Emacs Developer's
Meetup, for people to come together from emacs-devel, so that many of us --
who have been corresponding about Emacs for years -- could get to know these
people who have been a part of our lives for so long?

Where could such a meeting happen? When? Could we get Richard and Eli and some
of the other past maintainers to join us?

Just some thoughts,

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-08 14:09 ` Kaushal Modi
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-09-08 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:06 AM John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> wrote:

> This evening I had the most enjoyable privilege of being able to spend time
> with Stefan Monnier at a tavern in Oxford, UK. It made us both realize how
> valuable it is to interact with people in person; it changes how we read
> what
> they write online, and what we think they're thinking when they write it.

+1

> During our many conversations, we thought: what if we had an Emacs
> Developer's
> Meetup, for people to come together from emacs-devel, so that many of us --
> who have been corresponding about Emacs for years -- could get to know
> these
> people who have been a part of our lives for so long?
>
> Where could such a meeting happen? When? Could we get Richard and Eli and
> some
> of the other past maintainers to join us?

That's the biggest question.. "Where?" We have amazing contributors from
all over the world. Probably has to be at a major airport hub for
relatively cheaper flight tickets. May be the location keeps on rotating
around the world where there are higher concentrations of Emacs
developers/contributors.

I look forward to these meetups starting, and hopefully I can afford time
and money-wise to attend one of those :)
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-08 17:24   ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2017-09-08 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-devel

Kaushal Modi writes:

>> During our many conversations, we thought: what if we had an Emacs
>> Developer's
>> Meetup, for people to come together from emacs-devel, so that many of us --
>> who have been corresponding about Emacs for years -- could get to know
>> these
>> people who have been a part of our lives for so long?
>>
>> Where could such a meeting happen? When? Could we get Richard and Eli and
>> some
>> of the other past maintainers to join us?
>>

> That's the biggest question.. "Where?" We have amazing contributors from
> all over the world. Probably has to be at a major airport hub for
> relatively cheaper flight tickets. May be the location keeps on rotating
> around the world where there are higher concentrations of Emacs
> developers/contributors.

FOSDEM?  LibrePlanet?

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-08 17:31 ` Karl Fogel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Karl Fogel @ 2017-09-08 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:
>This evening I had the most enjoyable privilege of being able to spend time
>with Stefan Monnier at a tavern in Oxford, UK. It made us both realize how
>valuable it is to interact with people in person; it changes how we read what
>they write online, and what we think they're thinking when they write it.
>
>During our many conversations, we thought: what if we had an Emacs Developer's
>Meetup, for people to come together from emacs-devel, so that many of us --
>who have been corresponding about Emacs for years -- could get to know these
>people who have been a part of our lives for so long?
>
>Where could such a meeting happen? When? Could we get Richard and Eli and some
>of the other past maintainers to join us?
>
>Just some thoughts,

Even though I don't have much time to do Emacs development these days <sad face>, I would still try hard to come to such a meetup.  Meeting in person is indeed very important (at least for some people it is).  I might even try to use it as an emotional crutch to help me put Emacs fixes higher among other competing priorities :-).  It's easier to decide to spend time on something when it is associated with the pleasure of working with people I know in person.

So, strong +1, and thanks for suggesting it.

Best regards,
-Karl

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-08 17:45     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-09-08 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:24 PM Christopher Allan Webber <
cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> FOSDEM?  LibrePlanet?

Looks like FOSDEM is always in Brussels, Belgium, and LibrePlanet is always
in Cambridge, MA, US.

Even if one Emacs meetup is planned to happen in MA, I would do my best to
attend it.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-08 17:51   ` Etienne Prud’homme
From: Etienne Prud’homme @ 2017-09-08 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi, John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

> Where could such a meeting happen? When? Could we get Richard and Eli
> and some of the other past maintainers to join us?

Are you including not so contributors
but-willing-to-be-in-the-long-term-and-reading-all-messages-in-this-mailing-list?
I would understand if that’s only for anointed hackers.

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> That's the biggest question.. "Where?" We have amazing contributors from all
> over the world. Probably has to be at a major airport hub for relatively cheaper
> flight tickets. May be the location keeps on rotating around the world where there
> are higher concentrations of Emacs developers/contributors.

I would either suggest:

  a) Montréal -- because that’s where (I tink) Stefan used to live. Also
  that’s where I live.

  b) Boston -- That’s where the church is established since
  centuries. Also one of the holiest city.

--
Etienne

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-08 20:04 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-09-08 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2017-09-08, at 00:30, John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> wrote:

> This evening I had the most enjoyable privilege of being able to spend time
> with Stefan Monnier at a tavern in Oxford, UK. It made us both realize how
> valuable it is to interact with people in person; it changes how we read what
> they write online, and what we think they're thinking when they write it.
>
> During our many conversations, we thought: what if we had an Emacs Developer's
> Meetup, for people to come together from emacs-devel, so that many of us --
> who have been corresponding about Emacs for years -- could get to know these
> people who have been a part of our lives for so long?
>
> Where could such a meeting happen? When? Could we get Richard and Eli and some
> of the other past maintainers to join us?
>
> Just some thoughts,

Nice idea.  I'd probably not attend (costs...), but I'd love to.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-08 21:39     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-09-08 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Etienne Prud’homme; +Cc: emacs-devel, Kaushal Modi

> Are you including not so contributors
> but-willing-to-be-in-the-long-term-and-reading-all-messages-in-this-mailing-list?
> I would understand if that’s only for anointed hackers.

I would not turn away anyone who wanted to come.

>   a) Montréal -- because that’s where (I tink) Stefan used to live. Also
>   that’s where I live.

I'd love to see Montréal!

>   b) Boston -- That’s where the church is established since
>   centuries. Also one of the holiest city.

The easiest for me. My workplace is located here, and I often fly back to
visit the office.

* Re: Face to face
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-09-08 22:21 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-09-08 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

I would be glad to participate in an Emacs developers' meetup if the
place and time are ok for me.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-09  9:10   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-09-09  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I would be glad to participate in an Emacs developers' meetup if the place
> and time are ok for me.

I feel for our European colleagues, and I know it would make it difficult for
Eli to come, but perhaps in honor of Richard would could have the first such
meeting at or near MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.

Based on success, we could then plan a followup meeting, perhaps in Spain or
Italy?

How about sometime in the spring of 2018?

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-09 10:17     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-09-09 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> From: John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 10:10:26 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > I would be glad to participate in an Emacs developers' meetup if the place
> > and time are ok for me.
>
> I feel for our European colleagues, and I know it would make it difficult for
> Eli to come, but perhaps in honor of Richard would could have the first such
> meeting at or near MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.

I will not willingly come to the US any time soon, not as long as the
ridiculous TSA regulations are in place.  My US visa (which was
"indefinite") was revoked, and I have no plans renewing it any time
soon, not if I can help that.

Sorry, I know it's not your fault.

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-09 11:04       ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-09-09 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> I will not willingly come to the US any time soon, not as long as the
> ridiculous TSA regulations are in place. My US visa (which was "indefinite")
> was revoked, and I have no plans renewing it any time soon, not if I can
> help that.

This is a very good point. Even my Iranian wife was worried about coming to
visit me in Paris next week, wondering if she could even come back home.

So given tensions within the US toward international visitors, maybe a first
meeting in, say, Montreal would be a better idea.

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-09 14:12       ` Etienne Prud’homme
From: Etienne Prud’homme @ 2017-09-09 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: John Wiegley, rms, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I will not willingly come to the US any time soon, not as long as the
> ridiculous TSA regulations are in place.

What kind of regulation are you referring to?

> My US visa (which was "indefinite") was revoked, and I have no plans
> renewing it any time soon, not if I can help that.

Have you thought obtaining a religious visa?  I know a friend, he was on
the blacklist (for unknown reason) and had to take a religious visa in
order to come to the US.

Otherwise, I hope Canada would be an easier place for all of non-US
citizens.

--
Etienne

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-09 17:32         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-09-09 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Etienne Prud’homme; +Cc: jwiegley, rms, emacs-devel

> From: Etienne Prud’homme <e.e.f.prudhomme@gmail.com>
> Cc: John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com>,  rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 10:12:45 -0400
>
> > I will not willingly come to the US any time soon, not as long as the
> > ridiculous TSA regulations are in place.
>
> What kind of regulation are you referring to?

All of them.  Including body searches, taking fingerprints, etc.

> > My US visa (which was "indefinite") was revoked, and I have no plans
> > renewing it any time soon, not if I can help that.
>
> Have you thought obtaining a religious visa?

I simply refuse to come to the US as long as this madness continues.

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-09 18:26           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2017-09-09 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Etienne Prud’homme <e.e.f.prudhomme@gmail.com>
>> Cc: John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com>,  rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 10:12:45 -0400
>>
>> > I will not willingly come to the US any time soon, not as long as the
>> > ridiculous TSA regulations are in place.
>>
>> What kind of regulation are you referring to?
>
> All of them.  Including body searches, taking fingerprints, etc.
>
>> > My US visa (which was "indefinite") was revoked, and I have no plans
>> > renewing it any time soon, not if I can help that.
>>
>> Have you thought obtaining a religious visa?
>
> I simply refuse to come to the US as long as this madness continues.

I'm a US citizen, and I completely support your position. "madness" it
is. Some of us are working to change things, but it will be a while ...

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-09 18:38           ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2017-09-09 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Etienne Prud’homme; +Cc: jwiegley, rms, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> All of them.  Including body searches, taking fingerprints, etc.

I'm no fan of the current US travel rules either. As it happens, the worst body
search I ever endured was in Ben Gurion Airport more than two decades ago.
Somehow I got flagged as a potential bad guy - maybe it was my beard - who
knows! It was not fun, and I have not been back. So I completely sympathize with
Eli's desire to avoid the US.

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-10  2:44     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-09-10  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

Meeting at LibrePlanet might be the most convenient option for the
most Emacs developers, but there there is no need to have the meeting
in Cambridge for my personal sake.  I go to Europe a few times a year.

I can't blame anyone for not wanting to visit the US.
If I were not a US citizen, I would not want to come here.

I know several people in Montreal who might be able to host a meeting.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-12 15:07         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-09-12 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

> So given tensions within the US toward international visitors, maybe a first
> meeting in, say, Montreal would be a better idea.

I'm all for Montreal or somewhere else in Canada.

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-09-14 19:44     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-09-14 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 10:10:26 +0100 John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> wrote:

JW> I feel for our European colleagues, and I know it would make it difficult for
JW> Eli to come, but perhaps in honor of Richard would could have the first such
JW> meeting at or near MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.

JW> Based on success, we could then plan a followup meeting, perhaps in Spain or
JW> Italy?

JW> How about sometime in the spring of 2018?

I can make any of Boston/Cambridge, Massachusetts (I live there) or Montreal.

Ted

* Re: Face to face
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-08 16:52 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2017-11-08 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi John,

thanks for suggesting this!  I would love to participate to this
event and I don't have any preference for the date and location.

All best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-11-08 17:03   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-11-08 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

B> thanks for suggesting this! I would love to participate to this event and I
B> don't have any preference for the date and location.

Maybe something in the early summer in Montreal would work?

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-11-08 21:20     ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2017-11-08 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

"John Wiegley" <johnw@gnu.org> writes:

> B> thanks for suggesting this! I would love to participate to this event and I
> B> don't have any preference for the date and location.
>
> Maybe something in the early summer in Montreal would work?

Whatever is fine for most participants, I will try to adapt.

Montreal would be great indeed!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-11-09  6:10       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-11-09  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: johnw, emacs-devel

I will be in Montreal for the first few days of May.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-11-09 16:48         ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-11-09 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, emacs-devel

> I will be in Montreal for the first few days of May.

I have one obligation at the very end of April, still waiting to find out the
dates. It's quite possible I could fly to Montreal from there. I'll update
this list when I find out.

* Re: Face to face
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-11-09 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: bzg, emacs-devel

Just because I have a trip to Montreal doesn't necessarily mean the
meeting has to be then.  I can go at some other time, if that is better
for most people.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-11-10 13:42           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-11-10 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> I will be in Montreal for the first few days of May.
> I have one obligation at the very end of April, still waiting to find out the
> dates. It's quite possible I could fly to Montreal from there. I'll update
> this list when I find out.

BTW, would there be money in Emacs's planned budget to pay for my trip
to Montréal?

* Re: Face to face
@ 2017-11-10 23:43             ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-11-10 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> I will be in Montreal for the first few days of May.
>> I have one obligation at the very end of April, still waiting to find out the
>> dates. It's quite possible I could fly to Montreal from there. I'll update
>> this list when I find out.
>
> BTW, would there be money in Emacs's planned budget to pay for my trip
> to Montréal?

I'll donate you the cost of a bus ticket...

Phil