* installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-21 18:26 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-02-21 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

I am not sure I will switch to a Mac, but I can use one for the moment
running Catalina (10.15). I know there are several options to obtain a
running GNU emacs of sorts.

    1. Aquamacs (but this is based on GNU 25 and I am not sure what else
       it uses).

    2. https://emacsformacosx.com/ (haven't tried it out) it is 27.1-1
       which is pretty good.

    3. Try the one shipped with fink (that fails at the moment),
       macports (next candidate) or homebrew (I am sceptical about that
       one since it does not rely on sudo)

    4. Compile the latest master. This I want to do besides having an
       official GNU emacs.

Lars does this regularly on MacPorts and it seems to work, so it tried
to follow him but on fink

But configure fails

I tried
./configure --prefix=/opt/emacs28 --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-pop --with-mailutils

Not sure about athena on fink, but it fails even before that.

configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
     gnutls
Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
To build anyway, give:
     --with-gnutls=ifavailable
as options to configure.
oub@Uwes-MacBook-Air emacs % fink install gnutls
Password:
Information about 11044 packages read in 5 seconds.
Failed: no package found for specification 'gnutls'!

I know on the list are some Mac Users, so any comments on these issues.

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-22  0:11 ` Doug Davis
From: Doug Davis @ 2021-02-22  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I know on the list are some Mac Users, so any comments on these issues.

I'll give a brief rundown of my macOS GNU Emacs experience.

>     1. Aquamacs (but this is based on GNU 25 and I am not sure what else
>        it uses).

It's been a number of years since I've tried using Aquamacs. As you
mentioned it's based on GNU Emacs 25 and hasn't moved much lately, but I
think a new maintainer may have taken over recently (I'm not sure);
perhaps development will pick up.

>     2. https://emacsformacosx.com/ (haven't tried it out) it is 27.1-1
>        which is pretty good.

My first GNU Emacs experience on a Mac was with emacsformacosx.com and
it worked fine, but I know it currently has some issues around not being
a notarized binary (recent Apple security thing). It's also wrapped by a
ruby script that gave some folks headaches at some point (I may be
misremembering this issue). I'm not familiar with using it over the last
couple of years.

>     3. Try the one shipped with fink (that fails at the moment),
>        macports (next candidate) or homebrew (I am sceptical about that
>        one since it does not rely on sudo)

I've never used fink. The binary shipped with Homebrew (by the `emacs`
formula) is solid; but it's not compiled with a window system. There are
other Homebrew taps that make building Emacs easy; like
https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus
and
https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport
which uses the `mac' window system port.

>     4. Compile the latest master. This I want to do besides having an
>        official GNU emacs.

This is what I use (and have been for quite some time). I use Homebrew
to get the dependencies (i.e. gnutls and jansson) and build from scratch
(in the emacs repo):

./autogen.sh
./configure --with-modules
make
make install

Then I copy ./nextstep/Emacs.app to /Applications

I won't endorse one of the methods as "the best way" or "correct way" -
just say that I've found building from the latest commit in emacs.git
(every week or so, with help from Homebrew to get some dependencies) to
be a satisfactory GNU Emacs experience on macOS.

* Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-22  1:26 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-02-22  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am not sure I will switch to a Mac, but I can use one for the moment
> running Catalina (10.15). I know there are several options to obtain a
> running GNU emacs of sorts.
>
>     1. Aquamacs (but this is based on GNU 25 and I am not sure what else
>        it uses).
>
>     2. https://emacsformacosx.com/ (haven't tried it out) it is 27.1-1
>        which is pretty good.
>
>     3. Try the one shipped with fink (that fails at the moment),
>        macports (next candidate) or homebrew (I am sceptical about that
>        one since it does not rely on sudo)
>
>     4. Compile the latest master. This I want to do besides having an
>        official GNU emacs.
>

> Lars does this regularly on MacPorts and it seems to work, so it tried
> to follow him but on fink
>
> But configure fails
>
> I tried
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/emacs28 --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-pop --with-mailutils
>
> Not sure about athena on fink, but it fails even before that.
>

> configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
>      gnutls
> Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
> To build anyway, give:
>      --with-gnutls=ifavailable
> as options to configure.
> oub@Uwes-MacBook-Air emacs % fink install gnutls
> Password:
> Information about 11044 packages read in 5 seconds.
> Failed: no package found for specification 'gnutls'!

I think the easiest approach is to use homebrew. You have at least 3
options with homebrew. There is the basic emacs recipe, which will build
27.1 by default, there is a pre-built 'cask' version which will just
install it and then there are additional casks, like the rallycat/emacs
cask which will install a pre-built macport version of 27.1 (which is
what I use and find it really successful).

If you go with the vanilla emacs homebrew recipe, you can add a command
line option to have it build from the current repo HEAD. This is not a
bad option if you want to run latest bleeding edge. I don't tend to do
that because I prefer the stability of a released version when on the
mac.

Nice thing about homebrew is that it can install all the dependencies
you need to build on the mac, like gnutls and libraries for svg etc.

If your going to build from sources directly via a pull from the repo, I
don't think you want the x-toolkit stuff. The mac doesn't include an X
server anymore (you have to install XQuartz if you want an X server).
Probably what you need is the ns libraries.

Personally, I would go with homebrew and the emacs recipe or the
rallycat cask and the macports Emacs it installs (Emacs 27.1).

--
Tim Cross

* Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-22  5:43 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-02-22  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I am not sure I will switch to a Mac, but I can use one for the moment
> running Catalina (10.15). I know there are several options to obtain a
> running GNU emacs of sorts.

If you simply want to install and not compile then the ports package
name is ‘emacs-app-devel’.

But I use Homebrew. So I just copied David’s work -
https://github.com/caldwell/build-emacs

What I did was - I followed the instructions on the above page. It
installed all the dependencies (using Homebrew). And then started
building emacs from source tar (it downloads from Emacs repo). I
interrupt the build. And instead,

1. Checkout Emacs repository from main git repo
2. ./configure
3. make install

Now the Emacs.app is in nextstep directory.

I know it is kind of rough approach but it saved a lot of time figuring
out and installing dependencies.

* Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-22  7:36   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-02-22  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "DD" == Doug Davis <ddavis@ddavis.io> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> I know on the list are some Mac Users, so any comments on these issues.

   > I'll give a brief rundown of my macOS GNU Emacs experience.

Thanks for that detailed answer.

   >> 1. Aquamacs (but this is based on GNU 25 and I am not sure what else
   >> it uses).

   > It's been a number of years since I've tried using Aquamacs. As you
   > mentioned it's based on GNU Emacs 25 and hasn't moved much lately, but I
   > think a new maintainer may have taken over recently (I'm not sure);
   > perhaps development will pick up.

   >> 2. https://emacsformacosx.com/ (haven't tried it out) it is 27.1-1
   >> which is pretty good.

   > My first GNU Emacs experience on a Mac was with emacsformacosx.com and
   > it worked fine, but I know it currently has some issues around not being
   > a notarized binary (recent Apple security thing). It's also wrapped by a
   > ruby script that gave some folks headaches at some point (I may be
   > misremembering this issue). I'm not familiar with using it over the last
   > couple of years.

I am tempted to give it a try especially since it «solves» the modifier
problem, I need super and hyper for keybinding.

   >> 3. Try the one shipped with fink (that fails at the moment),
   >> macports (next candidate) or homebrew (I am sceptical about that
   >> one since it does not rely on sudo)

   > I've never used fink. The binary shipped with Homebrew (by the `emacs`
   > formula) is solid; but it's not compiled with a window system. There are
   > other Homebrew taps that make building Emacs easy; like
   > https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus
   > and
   > https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport
   > which uses the `mac' window system port.

Ok homebrew was the last on my list because of its lack using sudo.
Did you try out macports?

   >> 4. Compile the latest master. This I want to do besides having an
   >> official GNU emacs.

   > This is what I use (and have been for quite some time). I use Homebrew
   > to get the dependencies (i.e. gnutls and jansson) and build from scratch
   > (in the emacs repo):

   > ./autogen.sh
   > ./configure --with-modules
   > make
   > make install

Hm I tried to compile it on fink but not with that option and it failed.
The fink version has problems with modifier keys (it relies on Xquartz,
so maybe I have to fiddle around with that).

Thanks

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-22  7:40   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-02-22  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > I think the easiest approach is to use homebrew. You have at least 3
   > options with homebrew. There is the basic emacs recipe, which will build
   > 27.1 by default, there is a pre-built 'cask' version which will just
   > install it and then there are additional casks, like the rallycat/emacs
   > cask which will install a pre-built macport version of 27.1 (which is
   > what I use and find it really successful).

Thanks
   > Nice thing about homebrew is that it can install all the dependencies
   > you need to build on the mac, like gnutls and libraries for svg etc.

   > If your going to build from sources directly via a pull from the repo, I
   > don't think you want the x-toolkit stuff. The mac doesn't include an X
   > server anymore (you have to install XQuartz if you want an X server).
   > Probably what you need is the ns libraries.

I have XQuartz installed via fink but it turns out I will need to fiddle
the modifies (at least the fink version of emacs)

   > Personally, I would go with homebrew and the emacs recipe or the
   > rallycat cask and the macports Emacs it installs (Emacs 27.1).

I might  give also emacsforosx a try

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-22  7:41   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-02-22  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> If you simply want to install and not compile then the ports package
> name is ‘emacs-app-devel’.

> But I use Homebrew. So I just copied David’s work -
> https://github.com/caldwell/build-emacs

> What I did was - I followed the instructions on the above page. It
> installed all the dependencies (using Homebrew). And then started
> building emacs from source tar (it downloads from Emacs repo). I
> interrupt the build. And instead,

> 1. Checkout Emacs repository from main git repo
> 2. ./configure
> 3. make install

> Now the Emacs.app is in nextstep directory.

> I know it is kind of rough approach but it saved a lot of time figuring
> out and installing dependencies.

Thanks, good to know that this works, but I think homebrew would for me
the method of last resorts (because of the lack of sudo)

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-22 19:32     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-02-22 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

iThe emacsforosx binaries work well and are fine if you don't want to
actually compile fro source.

BTW I don't think you should be overly concerned about homebrew not using
sudo. While there are issues with homebrew on multi-use systems, the way it
works without sudo is really no different to downloading the source and
building it in your home directory and running it from there. Yes, it does
store the software in /usr/local, but it is not installing it as
root/system, but as your user (one reason it doesn't work well with
multi-user systems). If you really want, you can install it within your
home directory (although this can cause some problems with some recipes
where the source expects to be installed in /usr/local and you will need to
handle linking to bin dirs yourself).  Main point is, homebrew isn't doing
dangerous things with suid etc in order to avoid sudo and your not
installing something which has dangerous escalated privileges etc. There
are all the standard risks of installing software from the 'net', but these
are no different whether you use sudo or not.

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 at 18:51, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>

>    > I think the easiest approach is to use homebrew. You have at least 3
>    > options with homebrew. There is the basic emacs recipe, which will
> build
>    > 27.1 by default, there is a pre-built 'cask' version which will just
>    > install it and then there are additional casks, like the
> rallycat/emacs
>    > cask which will install a pre-built macport version of 27.1 (which is
>    > what I use and find it really successful).
>

> Thanks
>    > Nice thing about homebrew is that it can install all the dependencies
>    > you need to build on the mac, like gnutls and libraries for svg etc.
>
>    > If your going to build from sources directly via a pull from the
> repo, I
>    > don't think you want the x-toolkit stuff. The mac doesn't include an X
>    > server anymore (you have to install XQuartz if you want an X server).
>    > Probably what you need is the ns libraries.
>
> I have XQuartz installed via fink but it turns out I will need to fiddle
> the modifies (at least the fink version of emacs)
>

>    > Personally, I would go with homebrew and the emacs recipe or the
>    > rallycat cask and the macports Emacs it installs (Emacs 27.1).
>
> I might  give also emacsforosx a try

--
regards,

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-23 23:10   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2021-02-23 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross, emacs-devel

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> If you go with the vanilla emacs homebrew recipe, you can add a command
> line option to have it build from the current repo HEAD. This is not a
> bad option if you want to run latest bleeding edge. I don't tend to do
> that because I prefer the stability of a released version when on the
> mac.

Just a FYI, as of two years ago it appears that Homebrew's vanilla emacs
formula hard codes --without-ns and does not support --HEAD.  See
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/36070

* Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
@ 2021-02-24  1:41     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-02-24  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Armstrong; +Cc: Emacs developers

I just checked and it still supports --HEAD as an option. The other options
do seem to be gone, but it looks like it builds with --with-cocoa
--with-modules --with-libsvg, though it would be necessary to look at the
details of the recipe to confirm. I would expect it is built with the same
options as the binary cask version.

@ 2021-02-24  5:10       ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2021-02-24  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Emacs developers

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> I just checked and it still supports --HEAD as an option. The other options
> do seem to be gone, but it looks like it builds with --with-cocoa
> --with-modules --with-libsvg, though it would be necessary to look at the
> details of the recipe to confirm. I would expect it is built with the same
> options as the binary cask version.

Oh, I do see the use of 'head' in
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/emacs.rb
now.  I don't see --with-cocoa, and it sure looks like --without-ns is a
hard coded option to ./configure in the formula.  The response from the
brew maintainers for those that wanted a GUI version, in the but I
linked to prior, was "use cask", so that suggests that I'm right that
this particular formula is not meant to provide a GUI emacs.  ????  I'm
no homebrew expert, though.