* Font selection problems on Mac OS X
@ 2009-07-08 20:53 Felix Geller
From: Felix Geller @ 2009-07-08 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up Emacs on Mac OS X (10.5.7) and am having some
problems with the font setup: The fonts I installed manually
(e.g. DejaVu and Inconsolata) don't show up when I'm trying to set the
default font via `M-x set-default-font'. Also, the font selection dialog
doesn't include those fonts, even though I can select them for other
applications, e.g. the Terminal.  I've tried the automated nightly build
from [1] as well as compiled a CVS version from today with the following

I'm new to Mac OS X, please let me know what I can do to figure out how
to set my preferred font. Thank you in advance!

Please tell me if this isn't the correct group and excuse any
inconvenience my message caused.

Cheers,
Felix Geller

[1] http://atomized.org/wp-content/cocoa-emacs-nightly/

* Re: Font selection problems on Mac OS X
@ 2009-07-09 10:54 ` Felix Geller
From: Felix Geller @ 2009-07-09 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[08.07.2009 22:53] Felix Geller writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up Emacs on Mac OS X (10.5.7) and am having some
> problems with the font setup: The fonts I installed manually
> (e.g. DejaVu and Inconsolata) don't show up when I'm trying to set the
> default font via `M-x set-default-font'. Also, the font selection dialog
> doesn't include those fonts, even though I can select them for other
> applications, e.g. the Terminal.  I've tried the automated nightly build
> from [1] as well as compiled a CVS version from today with the following
>
> I'm new to Mac OS X, please let me know what I can do to figure out how
> to set my preferred font. Thank you in advance!
>
> Please tell me if this isn't the correct group and excuse any
> inconvenience my message caused.
>
> Cheers,
> Felix Geller
>
> [1] http://atomized.org/wp-content/cocoa-emacs-nightly/

I found the readson for why the fonts did not show up in the font
selection dialog: I had to install the fonts system-wide, rather than
solely for the current user. Is this the intended behavior?

Cheers,
Felix

* Re: Font selection problems on Mac OS X
@ 2009-07-09 21:32   ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2009-07-09 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> > [1] http://atomized.org/wp-content/cocoa-emacs-nightly/
>
> I found the readson for why the fonts did not show up in the font
> selection dialog: I had to install the fonts system-wide, rather than
> solely for the current user. Is this the intended behavior?

Neither intended nor unintended, just never noticed. ;-/
If you can come up with a patch to pick up user fonts
in this dialog, please send it along.  Otherwise we'll add
it to the list to work on when time available.

* Re: Font selection problems on Mac OS X
@ 2009-07-13  9:39     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-07-13  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: emacs-devel

Adrian Robert skrev:
>>> [1] http://atomized.org/wp-content/cocoa-emacs-nightly/
>> I found the readson for why the fonts did not show up in the font
>> selection dialog: I had to install the fonts system-wide, rather than
>> solely for the current user. Is this the intended behavior?
>
> Neither intended nor unintended, just never noticed. ;-/
> If you can come up with a patch to pick up user fonts
> in this dialog, please send it along.  Otherwise we'll add
> it to the list to work on when time available.

FWIW, fonts I install in ~/Library/Fonts do show up in Emacs font dialog.
This is on OSX 10.5.7.

	Jan D.