John Wiegley writes: >>>>>> Andrew Hyatt writes: > >> 1) How to identify the bugs to be triaged. I actually don't know the set of >> bugs you are interested in. All the open ones? Just the ones blocking emacs >> 25? If I'm using the debbugs package, what's the command I use to display >> just the set we're interested in? > > There are really two sets of bugs we'd like to pay attention to: > > 1. Those blocking the release of Emacs 25. Clearly, we can't release until > this reaches zero. > > 2. All the open bugs, especially the oldest ones. If they don't reproduce > against emacs-25 anymore, we'd like to mark them closed as fixed in that > release. > > #1 is a fairly small list, so just getting more information on those bugs so > that the developers know how to proceed next is what's important. > > #2 is a large list, but would help out the Emacs project by clearing out > things we don't need to pay attention to anymore. > >> Also, what if it does reproduce? I guess just a reply saying that it >> reproduces? Or does it need to be tagged in some way? > > A comment would be valuable, and if what you saw still matches the description > of the problem. > >> Sorry, maybe there was a document that explains this all, and I missed it. >> If there's isn't such a document, I think it'd be pretty helpful. > > Perhaps we do need a targeted document for on-boarding bug herders. If, while > you're learning this process, you could keep some notes on what helped you to > get started, Andrew, that could become the start of such a document. I've put together my notes into a file I stuck in the admin section. I'm attaching it as a patch. Feedback would be welcome, of course. I'm guessing there's a few other things we'd like to put into this document as well, but I won't attempt to go beyond just the basic triage procedure we've discussed in this thread.