* How can I debug this?
@ 2006-11-22 22:14 Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-11-22 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

[Emacs unicode-2 branch CVS 2006-11-22]

I see some strange behavior of ido.el but have no idea how to
reproduce it. It just happens once in a while. As shown in the
screenshot, (No matches) gets inserted in the minibuffer with each
keystroke. Any idea how I can track down this bug?

[-- Attachment #2: emacs-ido.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 1850 bytes --]

Leo

* Re: How can I debug this?
@ 2006-11-22 23:15 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-11-22 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> [Emacs unicode-2 branch CVS 2006-11-22]
>
> I see some strange behavior of ido.el but have no idea how to
> reproduce it. It just happens once in a while. As shown in the
> screenshot, (No matches) gets inserted in the minibuffer with each
> keystroke. Any idea how I can track down this bug?

M-x ido-toggle-trace

.. use ido until the bug happens

M-x ido-toggle-trace

Then you'll have a *IDO Trace* buffer which you can send me to look at.

* Re: How can I debug this?
@ 2006-11-27 16:47   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2006-11-27 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Leo, emacs-devel

 >>I see some strange behavior of ido.el but have no idea how to
 >>reproduce it. It just happens once in a while. As shown in the
 >>screenshot, (No matches) gets inserted in the minibuffer with each
 >>keystroke. Any idea how I can track down this bug?

Note that change:

2005-03-21  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>

	* icomplete.el: Don't forcibly turn on the mode upon load.
	(icomplete-mode): Use define-minor-mode.

Both ido.el and iswitchb.el use

(icomplete-mode nil)

to silence that up.  FWIW

(icomplete-mode -1)

should remove the problem.

* Re: How can I debug this?
@ 2006-11-27 17:34     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-11-27 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 27 Nov 2006, martin rudalics wrote:

>>>I see some strange behavior of ido.el but have no idea how to
>>>reproduce it. It just happens once in a while. As shown in the
>>>screenshot, (No matches) gets inserted in the minibuffer with each
>>>keystroke. Any idea how I can track down this bug?
>
> Note that change:
>
> 2005-03-21  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>
> 	* icomplete.el: Don't forcibly turn on the mode upon load.
> 	(icomplete-mode): Use define-minor-mode.
>
> Both ido.el and iswitchb.el use
>
> (icomplete-mode nil)
>
> to silence that up.  FWIW
>
> (icomplete-mode -1)
>
> should remove the problem.

This is helpful. Thank you.

--
Leo

* Re: How can I debug this?
@ 2006-11-28  9:24     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-11-28  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Leo, emacs-devel

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

>>>I see some strange behavior of ido.el but have no idea how to
>>>reproduce it. It just happens once in a while. As shown in the
>>>screenshot, (No matches) gets inserted in the minibuffer with each
>>>keystroke. Any idea how I can track down this bug?
>
> Note that change:
>
> 2005-03-21  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>
> 	* icomplete.el: Don't forcibly turn on the mode upon load.
> 	(icomplete-mode): Use define-minor-mode.
>
> Both ido.el and iswitchb.el use
>
> (icomplete-mode nil)
>
> to silence that up.  FWIW
>
> (icomplete-mode -1)
>
> should remove the problem.

Thank you.

That (partially) explains what's going on.

Problem is that ido.el only binds icomplete-mode to nil temporarily,
whereas your suggestion permanently disables icomplete-mode.

I have made a change to icomplete.el so that it will notice (and do
nothing) if icomplete-mode is temporarily bound to nil.

* Re: How can I debug this?
@ 2006-11-28 13:50       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-11-28 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 28 Nov 2006, Kim F. Storm wrote:

>> Note that change:
>>
>> 2005-03-21  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>>
>> 	* icomplete.el: Don't forcibly turn on the mode upon load.
>> 	(icomplete-mode): Use define-minor-mode.
>>
>> Both ido.el and iswitchb.el use
>>
>> (icomplete-mode nil)
>>
>> to silence that up.  FWIW
>>
>> (icomplete-mode -1)
>>
>> should remove the problem.
>
> Thank you.
>
> That (partially) explains what's going on.
>
> Problem is that ido.el only binds icomplete-mode to nil temporarily,
> whereas your suggestion permanently disables icomplete-mode.
>
> I have made a change to icomplete.el so that it will notice (and do
> nothing) if icomplete-mode is temporarily bound to nil.

Does this mean ido and icomplete-mode can be enabled at the same time?

--
Leo

* Re: How can I debug this?
@ 2006-11-28 14:33         ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-11-28 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Does this mean ido and icomplete-mode can be enabled at the same time?

Yes.

Ido will (is supposed to) disable icomplete-mode temporarily whenever
it uses the minibuffer.

* Re: How can I debug this?
@ 2006-11-28 14:52           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-11-28 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 28 Nov 2006, Kim F. Storm wrote:

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Does this mean ido and icomplete-mode can be enabled at the same time?
>
> Yes.
>
> Ido will (is supposed to) disable icomplete-mode temporarily whenever
> it uses the minibuffer.

I have enable icomplete-mode and it seems to work fine this
time. Thanks for the fix.

--
Leo