* Would it be ok to have a link to emacsforosx.com on the emacs homepage?
@ 2016-02-08 17:18 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-02-08 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi guys,

I'm resuming my work on the emacs homepage, and I'm wondering if it'd be
ok to link to http://emacsforosx.com for the OS X download link?

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Would it be ok to have a link to emacsforosx.com on the emacs homepage?
@ 2016-02-08 21:14 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2016-02-08 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: Emacs developers

Hi Nico,

I think you need to be vary careful about putting that link in as it gives
the impression it is the preferred installation mechanism for emacs under
OSX. If we add that link, then you probably need to also add the homebrew
page and what about macports? Should probably be vary clear that the links
are just links without any recommendations etc.

Personally, I prefer homebrew over emacsforosx.com as it just does a build
from git where emacsforosx.com tries to be a little more 'clever' and can
easily fall into the same pitfalls as many 'canned' emacs configurations -
often OK at first, but then when you try to customize or you run into a
problem, everything becomes troublesome and your not sure where to get
help.

--
regards,

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Would it be ok to have a link to emacsforosx.com on the emacs homepage?
@ 2016-02-11 19:04 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-11 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I'm resuming my work on the emacs homepage, and I'm wondering if it'd be ok
> to link to http://emacsforosx.com for the OS X download link?

This raises the question of whether we should have links to the other builds
of Emacs that are in the wild, that users might be interested in knowing about
(Nix, Brew, Macports, etc), and how to access them.

* Re: Would it be ok to have a link to emacsforosx.com on the emacs homepage?
@ 2016-02-12 12:34   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-02-12 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: nicolas, emacs-devel

  > This raises the question of whether we should have links to the other builds
  > of Emacs that are in the wild, that users might be interested in knowing about
  > (Nix, Brew, Macports, etc), and how to access them.

Please discuss them with me before adding them.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Would it be ok to have a link to emacsforosx.com on the emacs homepage?
@ 2016-02-14  1:02     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2016-02-14  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, John Wiegley, Emacs developers