* Possible make-package bug
@ 2007-04-19 14:16 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-04-19 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I observed a problem last night.

As usual, I build from cvs source under MacOSX (10.4.9 PPC) with:
./make-package --self-contained
under mac subdir.

I run it by clicking Emacs.app icon, and went to splash screen. I
noticed copyright line as:

,----
| Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
`----

which seemed wrong to me.

For testing purpose, I did:
./configure --enable-carbon-app
make bootstrap
sudo make install

In splash screen it shows right as:
,----
| Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
`----

Since copyright year comes from startup.el, I guess startup.elc is not
recreated by make-package, and old startup.elc is used (uptil yesterday
I have always built Emacs thru make-package). And I guess it may be the
same case for other files.

I use Emacs unicode-2 branch, but I trust it's the same case for CVS HEAD.

* Re: Possible make-package bug
@ 2007-04-19 14:30 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-04-19 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

After looking into file mac/make-package I find:

,----
| ## Make bootstrap if .elc files are missing from distribution
| if [ ! -f ${srcdir}/lisp/abbrev.elc ]; then
|    echo "Required .elc files missing; making bootstrap..."
|    if ! (cd ${builddir}; make bootstrap $make_options); then
|       echo "Make bootstrap failed...  Aborting make-package."
|       exit 2
|    fi
| fi
`----

Seems the logic for make bootstrap is too simple. If all elc files
except abbrev.elc are not created, what will make-package do? If any el
file is updated from cvs while all elc files are intact from previous
build, there is no way for make-package to update elc files.