On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 01:02:16 -0400 Ted Zlatanov wrote: TZ> etc/elpa/ARCHIVE-NAME can contain the actual armored GPG signature but TZ> it can also have more metadata about the archive. So the format could TZ> be: TZ> url=ARCHIVE-URL TZ> other-metadata=whatever TZ> then-a-new-line=ends metadata TZ> SIGNATURE TZ> and if SIGNATURE is missing, the archive is not signed. TZ> This would augment `package-archives' on startup and on demand. Any opinions here? For now I'm using the old format. Archives are signed by default as requested. I've rebased the patch against the changes to package.el. If we push this change, it will break all users against all ELPA archives until all their files are signed (they will have to answer 'y' every time files are retrieved). I think that's pretty radical. Maybe we should coordinate the change with all the repo maintainers? Or come back to my original setup, where archives are unsigned by default? Finally, for easier testing I think we should put a fake archive with 1 package in test/elpa/packages. If you agree I'll push that as a separate commit, including a small self-contained test. I didn't do it because Stefan mentioned Daniel Hackney's changes included some testing code and I didn't want to confuse matters. TZ> Using EPG functions, however, I could not figure out how to verify with TZ> an external public GPG key. I don't see that option with any of the TZ> context functions. Perhaps someone knows? Without that option, the TZ> user has to explicitly load the maintainer's public GPG key, which is TZ> very impractical around package.el. I need to know the above to make the patch usable, so I won't commit for now. Also the signature has to be named .gpgsig because the extension .gpg (the default) makes EPA/EPG attempt to decrypt it. Ted