* Should emacs include shell-command.el?
@ 2007-07-29 22:07 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-07-29 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi there,

One of the nice features that shell-command.el provides is completion in
shell-command (key: M-!).

 http://namazu.org/~tsuchiya/elisp/shell-command.el

It seems very nice. Do you think it is a good idea to include that?

HTH,

* Re: Should emacs include shell-command.el?
@ 2007-07-30  1:35 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-07-30  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> One of the nice features that shell-command.el provides is completion in
> shell-command (key: M-!).

>  http://namazu.org/~tsuchiya/elisp/shell-command.el

> It seems very nice. Do you think it is a good idea to include that?

I think it should use pcomplete.  But that requires for someone to take over
maintenance of pcomplete and to change pcomplete's defaults so they more
closely mimick the traditional completion behavior in the rest of Emacs.

* Re: Should emacs include shell-command.el?
@ 2007-08-02 14:30   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-08-02 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: TSUCHIYA Masatoshi

I have Tsuchiya cc'd.

On 2007-07-30 02:35 +0100, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> One of the nice features that shell-command.el provides is completion in
>> shell-command (key: M-!).
>
>>  http://namazu.org/~tsuchiya/elisp/shell-command.el
>
>> It seems very nice. Do you think it is a good idea to include that?
>
> I think it should use pcomplete.  But that requires for someone to
> take over maintenance of pcomplete and to change pcomplete's defaults
> so they more closely mimick the traditional completion behavior in the
> rest of Emacs.

Any other comments?

* shell-command stop working (was: Should emacs include shell-command.el?)
@ 2007-08-18 17:50   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-08-18 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-07-30 02:35 +0100, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> One of the nice features that shell-command.el provides is completion in
>> shell-command (key: M-!).
>
>>  http://namazu.org/~tsuchiya/elisp/shell-command.el
>
>> It seems very nice. Do you think it is a good idea to include that?
>
> I think it should use pcomplete.  But that requires for someone to take over
> maintenance of pcomplete and to change pcomplete's defaults so they more
> closely mimick the traditional completion behavior in the rest of Emacs.

I just noticed that this package does not work any more in Emacs
(grabbed from CVS 20070727, unicode2 branch). Do you know what might be
causing the breakage?

         Gnus is one component of the Emacs operating system.

* pcomplete fails (was: shell-command stop working)
@ 2007-08-20  4:11     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-20  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I just noticed that this package does not work any more in Emacs
> (grabbed from CVS 20070727, unicode2 branch).  Do you know what might be
> causing the breakage?

No idea.  would you have a more useful diagnostic than "it fails", maybe?

* Re: pcomplete fails
@ 2007-08-25 14:43       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-08-25 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sorry for the late reply.

On 2007-08-20 05:11 +0100, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I just noticed that this package does not work any more in Emacs
>> (grabbed from CVS 20070727, unicode2 branch).  Do you know what might be
>> causing the breakage?
>
> No idea.  would you have a more useful diagnostic than "it fails", maybe?

There is no error message, it is just not doing its work, i.e. now when
I enter shell command partially (M-!) and hit TAB, no completion at all, for
example 'rp TAB' used to expand to 'rpm' but not any more.